Plus 
Rich, powerful sound with gobs of detail
Dolby Atmos capable
UHD-ready with 4K scaling and HDMI 2.0 
Minus 
No HDCP 2.2 DRM to handle future UHD content
Basic remote isn’t backlit

THE VERDICT 
Yamaha’s one-step-down AVR delivers top-notch performance and features at a somewhat less than flagship price.

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2040-av-receiver-review

• Like 1

First impressions are, it's gorgeous. Blue ring (even though I hate the porthole) looks sharp in the dark. Internal guts, what I have seen with the top off (another person's pics),look very nice. Menu's are fast, XT32 is faster than my Denon 4520 (newer chips probably), and the connection possibilities are plentiful.

I hope to try out the balanced connectors this week, and also need to try out airplay. It connected to wifi quickly, and the dual antenna's pull in a strong signal. One other thing to note is they have changed the font size in the menu's, so most everything fits on one page. Especially in the speakers menu, where with so many channels info went across two pages.

All in all, it's another D&M product with XT32, but they continue to make tweaks that improve the experience. The XT32 setup menu's also give you more pointers and explain mic positioning at each step, which is a must for the general user base IMO (not everyone reads the Audyssey setup thread at AVS, if they even know about AVS or other forums in the first place). It runs cool, something an AVR being used as a preamp does not. My 4520ci as a preamp, was more hot at then end of a movie than the XPA-3 was. 

SQ was outstanding during the movie last night, but I changed a LOT of components out, so I cant attribute all that to the 7702. I do know some people claim the new HDAM's produce a better sound than the 7701/8801, but I cannot attest to that. I do know during the tense scenes of The Babadook, I heard every detail and thump I needed too and it was clean, which had me on the edge of my seat. That is what quality audio is all about.

I never really realized or appreciated, before getting into better gear, how the Director's choice in music or sounds plays into the overall effect of a movie. For some, especially horror movies, those sounds are as important as what happens on screen at times.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 2

Does anyone know if you can take a saved Audyssey file from a Denon 4520 and use it in the Marantz 7002...there by eliminating the need to run the setup over again.

Never heard of that, but I have worn these guys out the last few days with my level issues.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/home

Go to ask audyssey and start a ticket.

• Like 1

Does anyone know if you can take a saved Audyssey file from a Denon 4520 and use it in the Marantz 7002...there by eliminating the need to run the setup over again.

Never heard of that, but I have worn these guys out the last few days with my level issues.

https://audyssey.zendesk.com/home

Go to ask audyssey and start a ticket.

Thanks, I just started a ticket.

Its cool, because you can mark the chain/discussion solved when done, but it saves it with your ID and you can go back and read later if you need to remember.

Outlaw Audio has the same thing.

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

Its cool, because you can mark the chain/discussion solved when done, but it saves it with your ID and you can go back and read later if you need to remember.

Outlaw Audio has the same thing.

They answered... Need to rerun Audyssey if you switch receivers even if the have the same Audyssey. :(

I'd guess there are so many variables, it is probably best.

I'm so OCD I re-run audyssey every time the wife changes living room decorations for a new season or holiday.

I found out that if you don't do the measurement everytime in the same locations the sound changes... Hence my wanting to not have to run Audyssey again (I lost my settings for locations, and only have the save).