Wanted: Pair of RS-52 (first gen)

amitb

Hello everyone,

I currently have the RF-82 home theater system and I am using 2x RB-81s as rear surrounds. I am thinking of swapping them out with RS-52's. I currently have 2 RS-52's already (as side surrounds), and would like another 2 to have a set of four.

Thanks!

My system:

(1) RF-82

(1) RC-62

(2) RS-52 (used as side surrounds)

(2) RB-81 (used as rears surrounds)

(1) RSW-10D

Edited by amitb

I think you'd be less pleased with the RS-52's as rear surrounds as opposed to the RB-81's personally. Any particular reason other than just having 4 RS-52's?

Hey IbizaFlame,

Really? The only reason I was thinking of swapping them out was the way they were designed for the rear bookshelves. Althought he RB-81's suit my needs, I was curious if the RS-52 speaker would give a better surround environment.

Using bookshelves as rear surrounds is okay you think?

Based off of what I've experienced and what I've read. WDST surrounds are not the best pick for the rear duties where the sound should be direct firing instead of sprayed. I'm using RS-3's right now as rear surrounds, but I think the slight design change to them is what spares me (it's why they aren't on side duty).

Some people don't mind them as rear's, but a lot of people - myself included would prefer something direct firing instead of widely dispersed sound.

Wow, that is really great advice thank you! Attached is a picture of the setup. I currently has the RS-52's on the wall (as you can see in the picture) and you can see the bookshelves at the back.

I always worried I was quite close to the bookshelves, do you think this is fine then (as far as setup). If that is the case, I will stick with the RB-81s

post-41309-0-43120000-1430270065_thumb.j

Edited by amitb

i personally think your surrounds are WAY to far in front of you. and my other personal opinion with this picture and anyone else who rocks their couch against the back wall. if your couch is against the wall a proper 5.1 setup is better than a improper 7.1 setup. 

im gonna play devils advocate....sell the 81's and the rsw-10d and buy you a big ported 15" sub or an svs pb-2000. rsw-10d is one of the best musical subs I've heard but not good for movies since it drops on its face at 25 ish hz

I came to sell speakers but got some excellent advice instead haha!

1) The reason the surrounds are so far forward is because of the opening to the theatre, I placed them as close to the back as I could while being symmetrical (of course, optimally, they would be further back)

2) Should I use the already 52's as surrounds, and switch up to a 5.1? ie. remove the 81'S

With the rear surrounds proximity to the couch, either would work.  My preference would be for RS style speakers.  I have used direct radiator as SB.  Tower work great in that role because they can deliver some heavy bass and really make the SB's make a statement.

Edited by derrickdj1