New (To Me) Sunfire Amp

mxr dad

are you just passive bi amping?

I dont know what that means. Right now, no cuz I havent even hooked it up yet. Still new to this bi-amp/bi-wire.

HA! I did bro!

LOL. I think I need to get me drug tested!!!!!! Sorry man. 

I really need to edu-ma-cate myself on this. I have heard for many years and many forums that Bi-Wire is snake oil. I have never bi-amped at all before so I will spend tonight trying to learn a little more. Are there other ways to bi-amp other than passive? Oh, I'm almost out of silly questions for tonight. I will be a little more prepared (hopefully) by tomorrow.

• Moderators

My understanding is that Passive bi-amping is where you take and remove the jumpers from your speakers and connect on amp (or channel) to the HF (High Frequency) terminal on your speaker and then connect the LF (Low Frequency) to a separate amp or channel. It's passive because you are still using the internal crossover from the receiver.

Much debated topic...many seem to suggest that passive bi-amping doesn't make a difference but active bi-a ping (using external crossover) does.

I tried this once with just a receiver and it offered no sonic benefit. Never hurts to try it, let your ears be the judge.

Ah, got cha. In that case, I am talking passive bi-amp. This sounds like a project/experiment that I will tackle one of those rainy weekends and the wife is out of town. In the meantime I am going to try and see if I can tell a difference between the Outlaw  and this Sunfire. It may take a while but sooner or later I know I will try to bi-amp just for kicks and grins.

I really need to edu-ma-cate myself on this. I have heard for many years and many forums that Bi-Wire is snake oil. I have never bi-amped at all before so I will spend tonight trying to learn a little more. Are there other ways to bi-amp other than passive? Oh, I'm almost out of silly questions for tonight. I will be a little more prepared (hopefully) by tomorrow.

Look into getting a different crossover if you want to bi-amp--Just taking off the jumpers and hooking up 2 channels from your amp is going to be bi-wiring.

EDIT: I see you are the OP of the thread so I would advise putting the jumpers back on and running one set of wires to one channel.

Edited by tkdamerica