CF-4 crossover rebuild, upgrades, et cetera

If you can afford to do it, do it. replace the capacitors first, and after a week or so, go after the resistors. Then you can sit in the chair and spend an evening telling yourself that it's placebo.

You know, I might just do that, in exactly that way.

I've spent months making one little change at a time, and listening to each of the differences in sound (if any) just for the sport of it.  I try to be brutally honest with myself, but sometimes I'm just not sure what I'm hearing.

I'll leave it to others to tell me its a placebo.  :P

(and they might be right!)

Me personally, if I'm going to that trouble to the trouble of separating two boards from the terminal cup crossover, I'd go ahead and replace the resistors and caps at the same time.  There's less chance of messing something up doing it once and, with larger caps going in place of stock caps, it would be easier to plan out and do at one shot.  But that's just me.

• Like 1

I personally prefer this approach, likely because I have way to many projects and I like to finish what I start (it's easy to start a project. It's those that finish ...). On the other hand, for those that like to be studious and turn the crank to understand the bennies incrementally, I appreciate the step-by-step approach. But yes, if I end up doing this, I'll choose what mods to make, fire up the effort with a head of steam and drive it home. If the XO's come apart I suspect a complete rebuild is not a bad idea (I'm already in there with things apart). Hence why I was wondering if there was a parts list. Looks like that's going to need to be made.

Filippo

The KP450 has a network for the DH1506, it has two T2A autoformers.

The CF-3 XO has a single T4A.

I am compressing my pics, so this is a test to see if there is high enough resolution.  These started at 3 MB each, the first one is low res, the second is med res.  Let me know which works best for these posts.  I'm thinking the second one at 272 kb.

This pic is of the bottom level, the HF XO.  FYI there is yet another cap below this which you can't see in this pic.  I'll detail it later.

post-58280-0-22780000-1432175622_thumb.j

post-58280-0-95980000-1432176198_thumb.j

Edited by wvu80

I can't open the second one for some reason.

You're too quick on the trigger.  I took the 2nd one down and re-posted to get the one I wanted in there.

I just tried it and it works now.  If it doesn't open, try refreshing the browser.  <Ctrl><F5>

Edited by wvu80

• 4 years later...