Subwoofers.... are they the last 5%?

Coytee

La Scala's with a sub. Hard to beat IMO.

Anybody want to recommend a sub for LS? C'mon, help me feed the addiction.

Cinema F-20 if you can DIY.

Let me take a look and see just how much DIY'ness we are talking about here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, in Klipsch's anechoic chamber in Hope, Khorns have a good sized dip at 60Hz (6 dB?) or so, but they rise back up at about 45, then roll off, hitting - 3dB at about 34, then drop like a rock.  Roy published that curve on the forum some years ago.  Maybe dtel's wife will include those posts if she pulls up memorable threads of the past.  In two of my rooms, the 60 Hz dip was always minimized.  More recently, I found that Audyssey can deal with these irregularities fairly well, but can't seem to totally get rid of a (room?) peak at 40 Hz ... but that's O.K., I like it.  No, I don't have the curves to prove it at hand, but if I find them, I'll post them.  

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 1

In most situations a good sub (better still subs) is worth more than 5%. When I went from 2 tapped horn 25Hz subs to 4 subs, the midrange and treble seemed to improve, as well as the bass. When the mids are not required to reproduce anything below ~80Hz, they do a better job with midrange.

If I forget to turn on the iNuke that powers the subs, the mains still sound very good. When the subs are then powered, everything sounds better; more than 5% better IMO.

• Like 1