Frazier X-15

Guest Steven1963

I have owned speakers with slot vents and listened to a fair number with these vents but never built one. I still have a very hard time believing that with out deflectors the venting arrangment in the X-15 can be working at ianywhere near its best. I have known from reading that slot vents don have the vent speed of a conventional reflex vent they are bigger and that's what I was referring to when I said they were distributed but the air in the slot vent still has to resonate and it still has to resonate at the desired frequency. The air in the vent has to move at least some fraction of itself in and out of the vent and obstructions will impede that air flow. Please don't take my questioning as a statement that the X-15 does not work because it most obviously does I only suggest that it may be able to work better if the vent termination was not so very close to the baffle. I may also be wrong. I don't know how the slot vent is tuned if it is the same as a conventional vent or if it is done differently. I assume that it would be like tuning say four tubular vents to provide sufficient air mass in a woofer cabinet with a large woofer. Where I get confused in that if you bundle a group of smaller vent tubes they will act as if they were a single vent of the combined volume so they the vent has to get longer for a given frequency so how is this dealt with in a slot vent design what are the necessary spacing requirements to keep the vents from acting as a combined volume/mass?

Edited by moray james

Guest Steven1963

This is new ground for me for sure. I have never dealt with a slot port design like this much less one that terminates at the rear wall of the enclosure. I can only assume that what pzannucci says is true and that the volume of air making it through is the same (roughly) equivalent as a round ported cabinet.

I can attest that it does in fact work very well on the X15. The base is impressive. I wouldn't call it horn-like, as what the Khorn reproduces but very much no slouch. I don't think the Gauss 4582's are hurting them any either.

Something I just verified is that my left mid driver isn't without fault. Something was bothering me from time to time (very infrequently) and it was fleeting and something only tuned ears could hear (not that mine are well-tuned but my wife was oblivious, so were friends), but it is definitely bad, if only slightly. Time to put them in the garage and start figuring out what I want to do with them. Once I do, I'll create a thread documenting my adventure. At that point, I'm sure I can provide very detailed pictures of the build, since I will be pulling out all of the guts including insulation.

Edited by Steven1963

This is new ground for me for sure. I have never dealt with a slot port design like this much less one that terminates at the rear wall of the enclosure. I can only assume that what pzannucci says is true and that the volume of air making it through is the same (roughly) equivalent as a round ported cabinet.

I can attest that it does in fact work very well on the X15. The base is impressive. I wouldn't call it horn-like, as what the Khorn reproduces but very much no slouch. I don't think the Gauss 4582's are hurting them any either.

As with a resonator, a normal port works by the amount of air in the port/volume, surface area, and port speed.  The area and volume of the round port will convert to the slot with fairly equivalent values.  The thing that I believe also comes into play is the resistance of the port itself, or maybe drag.  That to me may allow for an actual lower tuning due to the surface resistance than the large open round port.

The speed comes in when you want to lower the amount of noise generated by the port.  Lower wind speed, lower noise.

Just some thoughts. Hope we didn't hijack the thread.  

It will be great to see what gets done once you start tearing at them.

Guest Steven1963

IMHO nothing to do but enjoy those. Cool just as they are.

I know, right! But the WAF is very low. She loves the finished look of the Klipschorns and so these, like a mangy dog, cannot be in the house. Besides, it'll make a great project for me tearing them down and sprucing them up. The way I see it since nothing is stock but the cabinets I don't have to worry about maintaining originality. I doubt I could very easily restore them to original spec. Drivers would be extremely rare...more rare than the cabinets.  

I doubt I could very easily restore them to original spec. Drivers would be extremely rare...more rare than the cabinets.
And you can get newer ones that will sound better, without costing you too much.

Bruce

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

I doubt I could very easily restore them to original spec. Drivers would be extremely rare...more rare than the cabinets.

And you can get newer ones that will sound better, without costing you too much.

Bruce

This is something else to consider. Although the drivers they came with seem very nice I do have reservations about the mid-driver or at least the horn.

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Moray, the lens is a DAS professional series acoustic lens - DAS apparently stands for Dynamic and Sound. Model E-401 made in Valencia Spain. At least that is what the sticker on it says. Apparently, they are a very good company.

D.A.S. Audio, S.A.

Fuente del Jarro, Spain

D.A.S. was founded in Valencia, Spain by Juan Alberola Calabuig. The company was originally known as Dynamic and Sound, the name was later changed to D.A.S. Audio.

D.A.S. Audio is one of the world’s leading manufacturers of loudspeaker systems, power amplification, signal processing, and related components. For over the last four decades, D.A.S. Audio products have been found on tour with the world’s greatest performing artists and installed in many of the most prestigious facilities.

www.dasaudio.com

post-58311-0-80500000-1434136525_thumb.j

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

All horn lenses are hard to find on the used market. McCauley also made them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2395-lens-/221797426825?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33a4282689#ht_41wt_1022

The last pair of 2395 lenses went for about $600.

It is not that hard to make the flat ones out of aluminum sheet, or fiberglass circuitboard material. Out of PCB material any color may be ordered, or you could have them in copper (or flashed in gold).

• Like 1