removing paint from EV hp9040

The Dude

Interesting question. I don't have any certain answer. But I see some issues.

The MSDS on the stuff is http://www.wmbarr.com/ProductFiles/GAF354%20MSDS.pdf. It certainly is not mild. I see some information that it will remove urethane paints, which is tough stuff. So it may be more than you need.

Issue: The photos of such horns show them white from the factory. Maybe someone can confirm. I doubt that is a natural fiberglass resin color. It may be that they are spray painted at the factory. Now, what kind of paint that is, is a question. A lacquer is a possibility. So whatever you use might well remove that too.

Issue: It seems that you're saying that a previous owner has painted over whatever comes from the factory. We know what sort of paint that is either. I don't know whether it will be possible to determine that by inspection.

It seems that you'd like some remover which will take off whatever was added by the previous owner, but not the factory paint (if there is such). I don't have any pat answer. But the above might alert you to issues.

WMcD

• Like 1

If they are white, it may just be latex paint.

Can you tell what it is?

I had a friend clean up several EV horns for me, all but one came out well.

If you can wait a day or two, I can ask him what he used, and what kind of paint was removed.

If you can wait a day or two,

I can, as I haven't received the horns yet (should be a today or tomorrow).  So if you could find out, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also while your here, what do you know about original replacement diaphragms on EV dh1a drivers.  As in how to tell if they are factory replacements or knock offs that aren't as good.

Get the white off and evaluate the appearance.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Motsenbockers-22-oz-Lift-Off-5-Latex-Based-Paint-Remover-413-01/100047250

If you want to change the color you will need to scuff up the entire surface to be sure the new color will stick.

My friend used carb cleaner.

I have used oven cleaner on latex.

Wear gloves, and be well ventilated.

Edited by djk

My friend used carb cleaner.

You think that would be harsh on the fiberglass. 

Any ideas how to tell if the pain is latex?

From some quick research, something tells me that is not oil base paint. 

Edited by duder1982

I think you should be able to tell from the rear of the driver if they're EV stock diaphragms. It will have an EV rectangular plastic label with impedance information and model number. You can make sure by carefully pulling off the diaphragm and checking for EV production numbers written on the metal diaphragm itself inside with marker. Generics wouldn't have all that EV labeling information.

Edited by absolve2525