HornEd Lives!

cluless

HornEd is alive and kicking, but his computers are kicking him a bit harder. He said something about being up to his a** in cyber. No, that's not it all, he would never say that. Oh, Ive got it,he's in a cyber morass. Anyway he wanted to let everyone know that he'll be back as soon as possible. He also sent me this pic...Jeez how high can you stack this stuff.

HEdKlipSigW.jpg

Tis better to be in a morass, than to be more ***.

When you are up to your *** in alligators, it's hard to remember your first objective was to drain the morass.

Hurry back HornEd, we miss your repartee.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1979 La Scalas (mains), SF-2 Center (pair), RS-3 Surrounds, RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Living Room:

Yamaha RX-V590, 1978 Klipschorns Mainsc>s>

I "third" that notion. He's the certified captain of the "All NICE Team". A finer gentleman you will never find.

Period.

Over and out.

------------------

"Bullsh*t!"

-PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

Eico HF-81

Eico HFT-90

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (KCBR's & ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Err, I am using my L33T hAk-r SKILLZ, well, no Smile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Mike

His computers got hammered by the Klez virus. I have been helping him via email but it has been difficult as the one W2k PC has had it's OS trashed. We are concentrating on salvaging his data from that hard disk and then will do a reinstallation of W2k.

We were able to get his server back up but for some reason he cannot access the forums - I suspect that we'll have to re-install Windows Explorer on that one but at the moment rescuing his data is a higher priority.

That is why ED has been MIA but he should be back on-line soon.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

jeez that stinks! of all people you would think I would have gotton a nasty virus by now, over 5000 downloaded mp3's, 5-15+ emails a day from strangers who need help with something, my computer is on nearly 24/7...

can not wait till he gets back, he has some pics to share with me of a trip to the mtns. Wink.gif I also have some d1 help from him i need help'n hehe.. what a swell guy horned is!

get back 'err soon!

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Wow, what a trip it has been! ...and still is. Thanks for all the kind words. As Lynnm said, my primary and server PC's are still trashed (but little by jerks we are making progress, Lynnm does the guru and I do the jerks). The Klez virus is so voracious that it ate my Norton and McAffee virus protection programs and but literally thousands of holes in all kinds of things! No biscuit can describe "flaky" the way a post Klez infected computer can. Fortunately, Lynnm directed me to where I could obtain a free copy of Kleztool which made short work of the virus... but could not repair the damage done.

Klez is a particularly insidious virus that caught me without warning from my highly touted virus software. It manifested itself by causing my computers to run progressively slower and causing various programs to come up with strange errors. It even ate Microsoft Word into oblivion and unexpected computer lock-ups become expected! Also, I was getting FAT32 errors on the Pentium 4 based main computer running Windows 2000 Professional.

Before Lynnm's rescue attempt... and not having found a virus with my anti-virus software, I attempted to reinstall Windows 2000 Professional... only to reach a "Stop error" when I rebooted the computer. Now with a Win95 Boot Disk I can at least reach the 60 gigabyte hard disk in DOS.

It would be so nice if I could use my high-speed Firewire CD burner to offload data. The affected computer has a built-in Iomega 250MB drive that I could use to link the Iomega 250MB drive on the laptop and then save the data to CD's. But, as yet, I have not gotten DOS to "see" the built-in Iomega Zip Drive.

And, of course, I secretly hope that I will find a magic "cyberpill" that will clear the Klez virus from the main computer by being able to start in DOS... and, hope of hope, find some way to reinstall Win2k Pro and not be forced to wipe out so many gigabytes of entrails that reformatting the hard disk entails.

I am reaching the Forum via the laptop that has risen from the dead... after more than six months. Fortunately, the laptop "died" before my network was invaded by Klez and, thus, may resume its duties in the motorhome running the GPS guidance system, playing DVD's and catching up with the latest Forum frolics.

I bought the laptop at CompUSA and took it back to them to repair when the laptop wouldn't start. Their diagnosis was that it needed a new motherboard for about $2,500. The circumstances did not warrant spending that much money on a year old laptop. So I paid over a hundred bucks for they charged for their diagnosis.

A few months ago, I met a computer hardware geek who knew several Silicone valley pioneers that I knew back in my Think Tank days. I mentioned the strange way the laptop died and he said to let him take a look at it. What he found was a large sand grain fell into the slot where the switch is to signal that the laptop has been opened... and when the lid closed it became wedged in the switch... so the computer behaved as if the lid were closed. When that lump of compacted sand was removed the laptop ran as well as ever.

I confronted CompUSA on how their diagnostic system could determine that a new motherboard was needed when a lump of sand in a mechanical switch was the real culprit. CompUSA's spokesperson said that they don't take laptops apart they just run a software program and if it doesn't boot they declare it a motherboard failure. They offered me $100 off on a new warranty... if I would just pay them $200 more.

Well folks, while I may believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny... even this youngster in an old guy's skin has to draw the line somewhere. So I declined. The frustrating part is that my former company and I have bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of equipment and supplies from CompUSA... clear back to when it was started as "Soft Warehouse" in a suburb of Dallas over a decade ago. I guess CompUSA has fallen into the old, "Yeah, that's nice, but what have you bought from us lately" jive.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I bought their highest-end, oversized format, six-color, archival printer with a ton of specialized inks, specialized archival photo papers and other supplies. It is sad when a long term business acquaintance bites the dust due to the company's failure to maintain it's consumer's trust. Naw... unless there is some reasonable kind of adjustment, CompUSA is not likely to see more of my long green.

Special thanks to cluless who has sent cheerful emails during this period under a dark cloud with computers and health. I even bought her old SS-1's to put in the motorhome since the vandals took the good stuff. I was relieved when I opened the speaker box to find there were no left over "pussys" inside! cwm41.gif

And thanks to Klipsch (and my continued ability to buy them) for contributing so much enjoyment through even the toughest of times. TheEar(s), I actually swapped out the SB-2's and stacked the SVS Ultras months ago... I just was remiss in not updating the photo.

News of my health progress is not as good as I would like to share. Suffice to say that some of my extended periods of absence from the Forum is health related. If I have failed to respond to any emails, phone calls, PM's, posts, etc., I do apologize. I try to respond to every one I see, but frankly, I have been swamped by queries that I have already answered in previous posts which may be accessed on the Forum by using the built-in Forum search mechanism. Just use your subject as the search criteria... there are just too many posts to use HornEd as a search criteria.

I still have a lot of work to do on the main computers on my CAT5 LAN and rebuilding the operating system on my server... but at least with the laptop functional, I can slip in and get a Forum "fix" now and then. -HornED

PS: I have included the updated HT photo just to test the Sig line.

------------------

Pic6.jpg

This message has been edited by HornEd on 08-16-2002 at 09:01 AM

Hey Ed, Really sorry to hear about that virus problem. No one knows what a nightmare it can be until you get hit with one or more . It's an Ultra bummer, a super bummer, a gigantor bummer , a kahuna maximus bummer. Did I mention bummer? Oh yeah I did. All kidding aside I had the WORM_KLEZ.H and PE_ELKERN.D and other ones I cant type let alone remember infesting my comp.I could tell you horror stories that covered the months of April, May and June with these bugs but you don't need to hear that now. I was one step from doing what you did with buying a lap top. These things ate the Norton the Kramden and everything else on the block. I installed the Trend micro system and it found over 2000 of these little heart breakers . Yeah great . I found them now what do you do with them. Don't ask the anti virus people I bought the thing from .I think they were vacationing with some EX CEOs from some of our former bluechip stock companies on some island near Tahiti sipping drinks with little umbrellas and fruit in them that can't be grown in this hemisphere when I tried to find what to do with their little chunk of sxxtware.

Everyone was giving me the runaround no matter how much money I threw at them."It's not our fault just because you bought something from us.No, It's their fault.Yes it's their fault.They say its our fault because we were the people that said it was their fault because the real fault lies with the people who lied about being our fault in the first place after everyone needed to find who's fault it was so obviously it can't be our fault". Did you get that because I sure didn't. This one guy, who was supposed to be support, was telling me that some of these virus' act like time capsules and people program them to go off on dates that celebrate the blowing up of something in some part of the world I never heard of. Celebrate ! Celebrate! Dance to the Moresick. And people think I'M nuts. Cut me some slack bub. Well it turns out that my comp. was not even restoreable. A manufacturers flaw .I was unlucky enough to have my comp. put together by the shift that had to be called out for an emergency Triple bypass jeep repriming of the second an third backup circuit boards of the primary systems reserve standby potential paralell release system.Ugh...... Excuuuuuuuuuuuuse Me ? They wanted me to send the whole computer to them. Yea right. I'll send that along with my safe deposit box number just as soon as I can.Will that be with or without the vaseline today? I finally got it working without anyones help .Had to dump all anti-virus programs. I won't go into any more detail about the fix here because it too depressing. But I'll give you a hint. I've got a hedge clipper sitting right next to me as I type. Don't ask and you'll feel safer. Needless to say the entire episode was no where near as much fun as a barrel of..... Nope! I won't say it. Clu will get mad at me and I'll have to grab the hammer over the clipper. It's a logistics problem I just don't feel like tackling today. We all think about you and wish you well Ed .BBB

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

Ed -

glad you got one of the machines up and running! But I really have to tell you, your new picture was bugging me. I finally figured it out. That 7 foot compound subwoofer really frightens me! I can feel my ceiling cracking just thinking about it. Can you really stay in the same room with all that speakerage?

LOL, and keep the black clouds at bay!