A little Info from the Classical Music Crowd

joessportster

Hey Dave, go ahead. We're buddies. And of course I respect your opinions.

BTW, everyone. Listen to the first notes of the New World.

It seems to me that John Williams stole that for the Jaws theme. Duuhh, Duuhhhhhmt, Duptee, Dumptee,

And Williams gets accolades.

Smile.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

Hey Dave, go ahead. We're buddies. And of course I respect your opinions.

BTW, everyone. Listen to the first notes of the New World.

It seems to me that John Williams stole that for the Jaws theme. Duuhh, Duuhhhhhmt, Duptee, Dumptee,

And Williams gets accolades.

Smile.

WMcD

New World may have been on the Temp Track (aka the Guide Track).  Some filmmakers assemble a music track to show the composer the kind of thing they have in mind.  Sometimes the film composer comes very close for a few bars, then "cuts before the sue point."  In one case -- 2001: A Space Odyssey -- the director decided to just pay for rights and use the temp track in the movie.  He proposed to the composer he had hired (Alex North) that they use some of the Temp Track music and some that North had already composed in the film, but North didn't want to.  North thought from the outset that he could not match Zarathustra to Kubrick's satisfaction, and he was right.  The original music North did compose for the film, in parts (at least the intro) intending to match the emotional morphology of the Temp Track, without lifting any melodies or motifs, can be found on a CD conducted by Jerry Goldsmith.  It's interesting.