USB Length Spec for DAC's

The History Kid

I am currently contemplating moving my PC around and off my stack. But the limitation is places to place the laptop that isn't on the stack. The room isn't huge, so I'm wondering if any run of cable will be suitable. My question is, what is the longest length of USB I can run before I deal with signal loss with a DAC? I know it can vary by gadget, and most that I've seen says 16 feet. Does that sound accurate?

As it stands, the run I'd need would be between 10 and 16 feet.

Do USB signal amplifiers work for DACS?

This is a USB 2.0 Standard, but I personally would treat it as an interconnect and not exceed 3 Foot

The 2.0 specification limits the length of a cable between USB 2.0 devices (Full Speed or Hi-Speed) to 5 meters (or about 16 feet and 5 inches). In other words, you cannot just connect a bunch of extension cables together (like taking a 6 foot cord and extending it with 4 other 6 foot extension cords) and run them 30 feet to another room. However, you can connect a 6 foot cable with a 10 foot extension cable for a total of 16 feet, which is below the maximum cable length for USB 2.0.

Don't give up so easy, look here.

http://www.monoprice.com/Search/Index?keyword=usb+cables

Do you know if these extenders will impact the sound at all, though? That's what has me worried.

Like a woman's skirt, short enough to be interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

I prefer pants myself...

I use USB repeater cables at work....never had an issue. The only thing you gotta watch for is that the repeater uses power. If your device wants the entire bus limit, then that's when you run into issues. The way around that is to use an externally powered hub instead.

• Like 2