Anyone have experience w/Rotel RB-991

Matthews

Hoping maybe someone could shed some experience they may have had with this model.  I think some of the older Rotel gear has taken a lashing by a few members of the "audiophile" community.  

Have had nothing but positive experience with the Rotel gear, myself.  If I remember correctly, the lashings were directed towards some of the bigger, mulit-channel models?

AnyWho?  ...anyone

Thanks,

Matt  ♪ ♫ ♪

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

busy lad!!!

always changing things around, Sir Jim :)

You would think a person would be happy with such a fine system.  I suppose that is why we call it a hobby :emotion-21:

♪ ♫ ♪

edit: coming up for sale soon, Yammy M-65 in excellent condition.  My beautiful La Scala's are still up for grabs as well (hint hint)

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

I have had the RB991 for over 10 years, though it has been sitting idle for the last 4 years or so. I used it with my Epic CF3's and thought it was a great match with the Epics which I have found can be a bit demanding on an amplifier.  It has a damping factor of 1000, puts out slamming bass when called for and did its job without issue and to my eyes,  it looks good as well. I wanted to try the  amps XLR outputs just for fun and purchased some XLR to rca cables from monoprice to connect with the Pioneer Elite receiver.   Though I read it is not truly a balanced designed amp, I used it that way for the rest of the time that I had it in use. 

• Like 1

Can't wait till you check out your CL find.

in short, my Yamaha M-65 seems to dance circles around the Rotel.  The Rotel certainly has plenty of power and gets the job done.  However, the Rotel lacks the detail and clarity my old Yammy put out. 

Going to give the Rotel a day or two.  After that I will circulate the Yamaha back into the loop.  Then, we will see if my initial observations are valid. 

...it does look nice

post-36834-0-08420000-1439069690_thumb.j

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 1

Perhaps I was mistaken?  Either my ears are getting used to the Rotel or my initial assessment was off mark.  It seems to be sounding pretty darn good now.  Wish it were a bit less of a hassle to switch between the two amps.  Only takes a few minutes but still a pain in the rear...

I will switch back to the Yammy tomorrow and update.

Until then, rock on peoples :)

♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

Yup!  and to the auction block she goes.  The Rotel just can't match the performance of my Yammy.  Lesson learned :unsure: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rotel-RB-991-2-channel-power-amplifier-/181828599788?hash=item2a55d43fec

oh well, perhaps I will make a few dollars...

No surprises there.  Not a down  :emotion-45: on the Rotel but just an up  :emotion-21:  on the Yamaha. 

Hey maybe these two are still available?

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/5133384823.html

If local to me I would scoop them right up at that price.  That's a deal.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

No surprises there. Not a down on the Rotel but just an up on the Yamaha.

Exactly, Willand.  There was nothing wrong with the sound of the Rotel.  It is just that the Yamaha sounds better.  Especially with its class A operation on the first 20 watts, which is about all I use anyway. 

♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1