Newbie here and first home theater

jloew

Agreed.  Don't jump the gun on the Icons either.  I know you're set on them because you can get them new, but patience will pay off a lot more than impulsive buying which can lead to buyers remorse.  Especially true in this hobby, and I think we've all done that at least once.  Patience will pay you off absolutely huge!

Agreed on the cables. Monoprice is good option. I use Mediabridge Ultra Series HDMI (High-Speed Cat 2 cables, necessary for 3D), The high bandwidth eliminates ghosting with 3D playback. Not expensive either, you can get (2) 6ft cables for only $10 bucks. 

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 2

Anyone got some more receiver options around the same price as the x2100 that might be a better option. I get the x2100 for less that 250 so I'm not sure if there would be anything around that and be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get a (BNIB) X2100W for $250 buy it.

It has plenty of power to run the speakers you are considering.

Besides, there's only about 3 things you're missing out on:

** You don't have DTS:X & Atmos....

** But you don't have ceiling or Dolby enabled speakers anyways

** But you do have DD PL llz & Front Height options, as well as DD 7.1 TrueHD & DTS-MA HD

** You don't have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 / Sub EQ HT

** But you do have Audyssey Mult EQ XT 

** You don't have HDCP 2.2

** But you don't need that until you go 4K UHD with your display

Everything above that you're "missing"... are all things you won't even be using. And Audyssey XT will be a fine option rather than XT32. 

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

So if I get a 4k I would need a different receiver to us it properly?

I wish I knew what u were saying with everything looks like I need to do some reading.

But yes I can get the 2100 for around that and the 3100 for around 100 more.

Here's some good info on HDCP 2.2 compliance. In a nutshell, its part of the HDMI 2.0 spec (for copy protection). If you're going 4K UHD, everything in your chain (TV, AVR, Blu-ray player, etc) must be HDCP 2.2 compliant or you will not be able to display a 4K picture. Plus, HDCP 2.2 is not backwards compatible with earlier versions & it's not able to be upgraded via firmware (its a hardware upgrade). But if you have no immediate plans to go 4K ... its absolutely not an issue at all.

Here's more complete info:  http://www.crutchfield.com/S-B0Cab0SOLnk/learn/what-you-need-to-know-about-hdcp-2-2.html

Edit Fixed link above

Edited by Nismo

If you check the HDMI specs for the 2100 (on the Denon site) it indicates the 2100 is not HDCP 2.2 compliant. 4K pass-thru & HDCP 2.2 are two different things. Eventually they will both work together (as part of the HDMI 2.0 spec), its just that right now HDCP 2.2 has not been fully implemented yet. While 4K pass-thru has been available for some time now. HDCP 2.2 has to do with copy protection with 4K UHD via encryption, and not 100%, but last time I checked, there aren't even any encrypted 4K discs available yet.

So, since you're not dropping big $$$ on a 4K display (which also has to be HDCP 2.2 compliant) its nothing to worry about right now. You won't be missing a thing, Plus, the HDCP 2.2 AVR's are just now coming out, & they might not fit in your budget. Grab the 2100, sounds like you are getting a good deal. Don;t sweat the HDCP 2.2, its a moot point until everything in your system is 4K.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

No problem, your 2100 (should you get it) is a better & more capable AVR than my first AVR was (lol). Even "without" HDCP 2.2 supposedly there is a work-around where you connect HDMI direct to the TV (vs using the AVR for video switching). 

Originally up on post #111, I had a  posted a broken link with info (the link did not work). In  case you missed it... I have since fixed the link & it has great info on the subject.

Here's another article with great info:  HDCP 2.2 Compliance info

• Like 1

Which Klipsch speakers should I be looking at that would be in my range. With the receiver and lcr I want to be around 1000. Otherwise the r28f seems to be my best option at the time due to my budget. I don't want to go over that for my first one. This is also just in an apartment nothing special.it will be used as my living room setup.

Most of us have posted suggestions.  It is up to you good sir to pull the trigger on something you like.  I would look for something used but higher end than r28f.  Troll the other Klipsch forums, there is a ton of stuff for sale.  You may have some really good luck.

• Like 2

If you're that interested in the R-28F, save yourself extra cash and just get the Icon version...just be aware that you're going to need to upgrade again, the Best Buy speakers aren't exactly ones I'd say will stick around with you.  They're not like the old generation 1 Synergy speakers.RF II and RP's, along with KG's (as has been suggested) will be your best bet budget wise and quality wise for now.

• Like 1

If you're that interested in the R-28F, save yourself extra cash and just get the Icon version...just be aware that you're going to need to upgrade again, the Best Buy speakers aren't exactly ones I'd say will stick around with you.  They're not like the old generation 1 Synergy speakers.RF II and RP's, along with KG's (as has been suggested) will be your best bet budget wise and quality wise for now.

I agree with IbizaFlame.  Please really take a long look around the for sale areas in multiple forums within this community.  The Best Buy speakers just won't have the best life expectancy.  If you are going to pay, used yet a higher quality line is the way to go IMO.  There are deals on older Reference and such that could in theory last nearly a life-time and be within your budget.