Newbie here and first home theater

jloew

As for what I want obviously good sound quality but I'm pretty new to this spent more time on car stereos than this. I haven't had a home theater system before but not looking for the best but something that would last for a reasonable price.

Location is Iowa in the cedar valley area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hands down spend more on speakers!!! They can last a lifetime. Receiver will be outdated in two years. Period. Skip the best buy speakers and get into reference premiere stuff or used stuff. List your location. There are lots of guys on here who can help you score some great deals used. Just cause you got that sweet discount through your work or wherever doesn't always mean to use it. Some INSANE deals can be found used. And a lower model receiver can get you by for a while while better speakers are gathered up to compete your dream theater. Trust me, we all have spent WAY too much money buying over and over again when we would have saved had we just got what we wanted from the get go.

What is the setup YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE???

Scrappydue, please allow me to re-enforce your point of view.

I too have gone the wrong route in the past and paid and paid for it.  One lesson I have learned...And I mean this with all due respect to you (jloew) and anyone else who reads this - If funding is a real issue, speakers for the most part evolve slowly and are so crisp now, buy speakers.  Please listen to us and maybe wait until you can get a few dollars extra and spend on the nicer speakers.  "They can last a lifetime."  

Receivers can be had new or used anywhere.  They have no moving parts save for couple of knobs, so get what works for now, and then splurge on the one you really want when you have the money.  The speakers will always work...Especially from KLIPSCH!!!

As for what I want obviously good sound quality but I'm pretty new to this spent more time on car stereos than this. I haven't had a home theater system before but not looking for the best but something that would last for a reasonable price.

Location is Iowa in the cedar valley area.

Just north of you, Twin Cities MN area.  There are deals everywhere.  See my previous post quoting Scrappydue.

D&M Holdings products mean just that...D&M...Denon and Marantz.  They'll both be very similar.  The X series receivers are nice, but don't bother with the S models.  Based off of my experience with Marantz and Denon products, my vote would continue to be for the Yamaha Aventage receiver that scrappy quoted you above.

First, your X2100 you quote can be had for $330:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

The A730 can be had for $300:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa730bl/yamaha-rx-a730-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

The Denon X3000 for $350:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

And the Yamaha A740 for $400:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa740bl/yamaha-rx-a740-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-w/wi-fi-airplay/1.html

• Like 2

D&M Holdings products mean just that...D&M...Denon and Marantz.  They'll both be very similar.  The X series receivers are nice, but don't bother with the S models.  Based off of my experience with Marantz and Denon products, my vote would continue to be for the Yamaha Aventage receiver that scrappy quoted you above.

First, your X2100 you quote can be had for $330:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx2100w/denon-avr-x2100w-7.2-receiver-wi-fi/bluetooth/airplay/1.html

The A730 can be had for $300:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa730bl/yamaha-rx-a730-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-airplay/1.html

The Denon X3000 for $350:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavrx3000/denon-avr-x3000-7.2-4k-networking-receiver-airplay/1.html

And the Yamaha A740 for $400:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/yamrxa740bl/yamaha-rx-a740-7.2-network-aventage-av-receiver-w/wi-fi-airplay/1.html

Holy crap!!  You definitely know how to find a deal.  NICE!!

• Like 1

What about Denon or marantz?

I can get the avrx2100 avrx1100 or the avrs900w from Denon for a good price. Also marantz sr5009 and possibly the sr6009.

im a denon fan myself but marantz is sister company so there really isn't much difference between the two. You want to go 5.1 or 7.1? You aren't too far from me either. What can you actually spend on speakers right now?

What about Denon or marantz?

I can get the avrx2100 avrx1100 or the avrs900w from Denon for a good price. Also marantz sr5009 and possibly the sr6009.

im a denon fan myself but marantz is sister company so there really isn't much difference between the two. You want to go 5.1 or 7.1? You aren't too far from me either. What can you actually spend on speakers right now?

Hey, you have an 805 Onkyo, I loved that little guy.  Only reason I sold it was I needed 4k60 pass-through.  Venerable beast though.

I agree with putting $$$ towards the Speakers vs AVR. My current 5.1 speaker set up has been in place since 2001. Loved every minute of it. During that same time I've had 4 different AVR's. So, I agree for now, spend $$$ on your speakers, that's where you'll have the biggest impact. 15 years ago, the first receiver powering my RF-7's was a Denon @ 90w x 5 & that was perfectly fine AVR for a very efficient 5.1 Klipsch set up.  

• Like 1

I agree with putting $$$ towards the Speakers vs AVR. My current 5.1 speaker set up has been in place since 2001. Loved every minute of it. During that same time I've had 4 different AVR's. So, I agree for now, spend $$$ on your speakers, that's where you'll have the biggest impact. 15 years ago, the first receiver powering my RF-7's was a Denon @ 90w x 5 & that was perfectly fine AVR for a very efficient 5.1 Klipsch set up.  

Nice setup Nismo.  Just read your signature.  Velodyne...yikes.  Those are crazy nice.  

Nice setup Nismo.  Just read your signature.  Velodyne...yikes.  Those are crazy nice.  

Thanks ! Right now I'm 5.2.4 & my HT has never sounded better. The Velodyne has served me well for almost 15 years as well. But.... the time has come to upgrade it.  :)  Just ordered a new toy... it should be here next week. That will give me time to rattle-proof my windows & duct tape everthing else in place. Some new LFE is on the way ! 

• Like 1

Thanks ! Right now I'm 5.2.4 & my HT has never sounded better. The Velodyne has served me well for almost 15 years as well. But.... the time has come to upgrade it.  :)  Just ordered a new toy... it should be here next week. That will give me time to rattle-proof my windows & duct tape everthing else in place. Some new LFE is on the way ! 

OOooooooooo, you have my attention sir.  What is the new toy?  R-115SW I hope.  Lol.  Maybe even two!  Be sure to post some HT pics so we can see your new setup!

OOooooooooo, you have my attention sir.  What is the new toy?  R-115SW I hope.  Lol.  Maybe even two!  Be sure to post some HT pics so we can see your new setup!

Sorry, I don't want to derail jloew's thread, but the R-115SW is 75lbs / 400W cont / 800 peak. New toy is 122lbs / 800w cont / 2400 peak / with dual 15" drivers.

• Like 1

Sorry, I don't want to derail jloew's thread, but the R-115SW is 75lbs / 400W cont / 800 peak. New toy is 122lbs / 800w cont / 2400 peak / with dual 15" drivers.

Sorry jloew, my bad.  But Holy Crap Nismo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry jloew, my bad.  But Holy Crap Nismo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Naah, lotta guys around here have dual 18's or even quad 18's in their HT. Right now going for just "1"... not sure if I'll even need to go dual subs in my space with the new toy. 5.1.4 with the new arrival will outmatch my current 5.2.4 set up.

Right now 5.1 will be fine but I would like the option to go to 7.1 when I can.

I'm just beginning to piece this together and come up with what I can spend so I'm not a 100% sure what that is yet.

What speakers should I look for I want the two floor the two rears and the center channel and one sub.

• Like 1

If you're searching CL/eBay/Gon...look for model numbers beginning in RB, RC, RF, RS, KG, WF, WB, YF, YB, XF, XB.

The Reference II series 15 and 25 seem to be going at good prices right now.

What site are you referring to?

Edited by IbizaFlame