Newbie here and first home theater

jloew

Thanks I sent him an email about them.

Can anyone tell me what model they are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to hard to tell from the pics. id say safe bet the surrounds are rs-3's but hard to tell 

you are more than welcome to spend a grand and have a 5.1 system out of the deal. it will be a good starter set. but your asking these questions to a bunch of guys that started a long time ago and did what i described earlier. went thought starter set after a couple years and then spent thousands upgrading and upgrading. 

if you are set on a full surround sound quickly and are more comfortable with new then either way i look at a full 5.1 for 1000 bucks a pretty good deal. 

but if you have patience then better can be had used. i personally would piece together as you go. if 1000 is your budget then spend that on a towers. can get some rf-63 rf-83 rf-7 rf-7ii. or maybe even look into heritage. a trio of heresy can be had for that and would make a killer LCR setup. 

Ya I understand most of the people on here have probably been around the block and had a few systems. I like to learn but my budget is low for now and I figure if I get a few years out of whatever I buy then it's worth it to me. Whatever I end up with will get used and can always be sold in a few years. I'm no audiophile or at least not yet. My budget is low I will keep a look out for whatever deals I can find used but the discount will still get me a decent starter stereo for now.

I think what scrappy is saying is that you'd be better off spending your $1000 budget on a really great pair of speakers than a good set of 5 speakers. Then later on you could add to the great pair with other equally great speakers to someday build a great 5.1 system...which may take a while to assemble, but would be worth it long run.

Speaking from experience, I went the route you're going down and put together a full RF62 system. Don't get me wrong, it's a nice system, but it didn't give me the "big" sound I was looking for, so I wasn't completely happy. I ended up selling that system and bought my CF3 pair. I modded the 3s and gradually added a KV4 center, KSP surrounds, and some good heights along with better electronics. It took a while, but I'm far happier today than I ever was with my 62s and have no desire to "upgrade".

Just some food for thought.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Hands down spend more on speakers!!! They can last a lifetime. Receiver will be outdated in two years. Period. Skip the best buy speakers and get into reference premiere stuff or used stuff.

I could not agree more.  Get a descent receiver but I just can't see myself spending huge money on a receiver that will be outdated in literally 2-3 yrs and will be worth less than 1/2 what you paid for it at that time.  I typically buy 2-3 yr old receivers and let the guy before me take the hit on depreciation.

Used speakers can be just as good as brand new speakers if you have patience and look for good deals.

Craigslist and Patience is your friend.  I know it has helped feed my Klipsch addiction over the past few years.  The only speakers in my list below that I did not own was the Palladiums.  I visited a local guy with Michael Alfredson to check out the Palladiums.

speaker-list-08-24-15.jpg

Can anyone tell me what model they are?

My guess would be RF-52, RC-52 and RS-25.

they look nice but I'm gonna go ahead and tell you the weak link if you went that route. the center channel. if your new to home theater let me lay it down for you. center is the single most important speaker of the bunch. its where you spend a good chunk of money. sub is number 2. mains are 3rd and surrounds last. 

I think what scrappy is saying is that you'd be better off spending your $1000 budget on a really great pair of speakers than a good set of 5 speakers. Then later on you could add to the great pair with other equally great speakers to someday build a great 5.1 system...which may take a while to assemble, but would be worth it long run.
exactly why i was saying  

if you did get the very first system you mentioned, that is fine you probably will enjoy it especially since its your first. best thing to do is buy it, stay off of here, and dont go audition peoples theaters that have way better gear. then you will be golden.

oh and if you do get that theater i will be the first to say there is NO NEED to spend 800 on an avr for it. get you denon x1100 and call it a day. 

I think what scrappy is saying is that you'd be better off spending your $1000 budget on a really great pair of speakers than a good set of 5 speakers.

I 100% agree.  In my home theater world, the center is the most important speaker, followed closely by the L/R  You would find a good 3.1 setup is vastly superior to a mediocre 5.1 for the same money spent.

My first HT set-up was a basic, but effective 5.1 Def-Tech Pro Cinema 100 Series (with an upgraded at the time of the order Pro Cinema 200 Center channel). It was inexpensive & just a step up from a HTIB set-up, featuring 4 bookshelf speakers, center & sub. It was a great first HT experience & I enjoyed the hell out of them. I still own them today almost 20 years later (with all 4 stands) & still use them in my computer room to this day. There's absolutely nothing wrong with an entry level set up. The journey & the learning experience is half the fun. You should be able to assemble a great 5.1 system with AVR for your budget. Have fun & discover what your HT preferences are for your space. Also, your space will be different from anyone else, your ears will also hear differently than anyone else & will establish what your preference are. Enjoy the process. 

I'm not against a 3.1 either. I'm here to see what people that have been doing this have to say. I use forums for everything the knowledge among the people in them is tremendous and I always learn something. Appreciate all the help and I'll see what I can find. I'll be sure to ask more questions as they come to me.

Thanks

• Like 1

also what could save you some money is spending some gas money to run around and hear what others have! i know of few guys in iowa all of which have different klipsch systems. i am not too far from anywhere in iowa and i currently own palladium, cinema, reference, reference premiere, heritage, and KG series. 

systems i know in iowa are a full rf-83 theater with svs subs, another with some very custom built LCR speakers with upcoming dual 18's and then he also has some very hotrodded cornscalas. and then ibizaflame. I'm not 100% on his signature. a lot of reference stuff i know that. 

• Like 1

To answer Scrappy and give you a place to stop, I have an RF-3 2.0 setup, an RSX 4.0 setup, a Reference II 3 9.1 setup and a Reference 5.1 setup with Heresys replacing the mains.

The newest speaker in that set by is my RS-42 IIs in the 9.1. The next newest are the 7 or so year old RSXs.

Edited by IbizaFlame

Too bad you don't live near Denver. A forum member here (jordan122345) has a pair or RF-7's & a RC-7 for $1100. That would be an excellent start.

Edit: Just noticed a price drop on his RC-7 to $375 so that would be $1075 with the RF-7's.

Rent a Penske or U-Haul van for the day... drive to Denver & pick them up. 

He even has a pair of RS-7's for $375. What a great deal.

Edited by Nismo
  • Like 1

And his mom has some sweet cherry rb's in her room too!!! If I remember the ones you took off the garage sale section to keep for her

Yes, those are in the dining room now, they're powered by the same unit that runs her Heresy's.  Those four speakers are her babies. :lol:

Yes man, check out the new speakers from Klipsch to see the deals there. Maybe you could end up with some loot leftover for a new/used AVR with the connectivity you require. As you say, you can upgrade later.

Klipsch is in the biz of selling speakers I hear.