SW-12 II help

supercooldude

You know, you also mention moisture...we had the basement flood...5 times in the new house in these past few months.  After $1.200 we finally figured out that it was concrete in the sewer line.  

The subwoofer never actually got wet because its on top of a sound pad, but I am sure it didn't help.

-s

So is there another concrete way of testing it?  Since I am a maniac I already ordered the http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0046L6NF0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00 because...well lets say self control is an issue  :rolleyes:

But there is still time to cancel if you think it is self repairable.  

-s

You know, you also mention moisture...we had the basement flood...5 times in the new house in these past few months.  After $1.200 we finally figured out that it was concrete in the sewer line.  

The subwoofer never actually got wet because its on top of a sound pad, but I am sure it didn't help.

-s

I was only speculating.  But it would not be helpful if moisture got in there.  And CECAA850 is also correct, 20 years of service and moving and such is a really good life expectancy.  I don't know supercooldude, it may be time to retire your venerable sub and think about another one.

• Like 1

-s

I was only speculating.  But it would not be helpful if moisture got in there.  And CECAA850 is also correct, 20 years of service and moving and such is a really good life expectancy.  I don't know supercooldude, it may be time to retire your venerable sub and think about another one.

I hate to just through this one out, do you think it has any value?

-s

-s

-s

Well I am by no means a technician.  So I couldn't even tell you that it is broken or not.  There happen to be different levels of tech heads and such everywhere.  Attempt to sell it cheap if you feel that is what you want.  As you know, forums are just a place to pass ideas and some knowledge.  For all any of us know, just tapping the back of the panel, or jiggling a wire could temp fix it.  In the end, the choice is yours sir.  Best of luck.

-s

-s

Well I am by no means a technician.  So I couldn't even tell you that it is broken or not.  There happen to be different levels of tech heads and such everywhere.  Attempt to sell it cheap if you feel that is what you want.  As you know, forums are just a place to pass ideas and some knowledge.  For all any of us know, just tapping the back of the panel, or jiggling a wire could temp fix it.  In the end, the choice is yours sir.  Best of luck.

Thank you so so so much all of your help!

-s

• Like 1

I got a few of them old subs. Got a SW-12 and the amp took a dump, I found someone parting out a SW-15 and I put that amp in it....it got that 12" woofer woofing. Got it cheap, so I figured what the heck... I'll give it a try.

Also got a SW-15.... they sound good for the money I have in them...

Good luck

MKP :-)

• Like 1

I got a few of them old subs. Got a SW-12 and the amp took a dump, I found someone parting out a SW-15 and I put that amp in it....it got that 12" woofer woofing. Got it cheap, so I figured what the heck... I'll give it a try.

Also got a SW-15.... they sound good for the money I have in them...

Good luck

MKP :-)

Okay, thats really good to know!  Perhaps it will live in the garage for a little while.

-s

• Like 1

Aaaaand the MORON of the year award goes to me I think.

So the replacement sub arrived today:  To be clear I was replacing my SW-12 ii with a SW-112 Reference series 12".  Now I first ran the test tone automatic set up feature on my Yamaha RX-V675.  It made some noise, but honestly I was nervous, it didn't sound strong to me.

So I put in my favorite test Blu-Ray, which is the first Despicable Me and I skip right to chapter 2.  I sit back and wait for my squeals of delight....except...nothing...the sub isn't firing.  WTF?!?  So I start trying 50 million random things, and one of those things I try is changing the "program" setting on the receiver...it switches from "action" to "spectacle" to whatever and I can see on the front of the receiver which speakers are being used and the damn Sub woofer lights isn't coming on...until...I get to "7 ch surround sound" and BLAMO it turns on.  ....I was very happy...until I started thinking...and thinking.........wait a second.......that means the sub was fine?  Please god no....so I hook back the old sub and....it fires up just fine.

Now I feel like a primo moron.  But why wasn't the sub playing test tones? Why do I always panic like this?

He is the question of the day, and I would really REALLY love to know you honest opinion dear friends:

****Is the SW-112 a worthy upgrade from the SW-12?  

I feel a little nauseous waiting for your replies.... uggg.... :unsure:

-s

Now that's funny.  I really don't use those presets for Hall, action, drama ect.  I use the Dolby, DTS and stereo.  All ch  stero always sounds great but the sub should activate without using it.  I make sure I go into setting and set speakers to small with a crossover and on the BPD, bitstream everything unprocessed.  This way the avr is running the show.  I use to also not use the auto-on function of the sub and just leave it on.

• Like 2

He is the question of the day, and I would really REALLY love to know you honest opinion dear friends: ****Is the SW-112 a worthy upgrade from the SW-12?

I haven't heard either sub, but I would consider going from a 12" sub to a similar 12" sub NOT an upgrade, it's a lateral move.

Going to a 15" sub IS an upgrade.  I went from a Klipsch RW-12d w/300 w plate amp to a DIY Dayton Audio Reference 15 w/500w plate amp, both $300 subs.  To be honest, both do a good job, but the 15" really shines when running at louder volumes.

You might consider running dual subs.  That will control room nulls and I believe you will get about 3 db more output.

+++

I'm not sure if I saw which AVR you are running, but in the Mancave setup I have a 10 year-old Pioneer AVR which is very funky about listening modes, 5.1, stereo, "advanced stereo surround" etc. 

They did NOT have all that stuff figured out back then, and I have had speakers that were tinny sounding and AWFUL.  Even subs would not work under some specific audio modes until you pick the right combination of weird buttons, then everything would work more or less normally,

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I haven't heard either sub, but I would consider going from a 12" sub to a similar 12" sub NOT an upgrade, it's a lateral move.

I haven't heard them or looked at the specs HOWEVER going from a 12" 20 year old sub to a new 12" sub should be an improvement.  Driver technology is light years ahead of what it was 20 years ago.

Now that's funny.  I really don't use those presets for Hall, action, drama ect.  I use the Dolby, DTS and stereo.  All ch  stero always sounds great but the sub should activate without using it.  I make sure I go into setting and set speakers to small with a crossover and on the BPD, bitstream everything unprocessed.  This way the avr is running the show.  I use to also not use the auto-on function of the sub and just leave it on.

Ummm, would you mind explaining that in layman terms, I am afraid I am way behind the times.  Told you I deserve the MORON award.  :blink:

What is:

BPD

How do you "bitstream everything unprocessed"?

What do you mean  "the avr is running the show"?