SW-12 II help

supercooldude

How do you "bitstream everything unprocessed"? What do you mean "the avr is running the show"?

Let the AVR do the decoding not the player.  At that point the AVR is doing everything from decoding the raw stream to distribution and amplification.

• Like 2

How do you "bitstream everything unprocessed"? What do you mean "the avr is running the show"?

Let the AVR do the decoding not the player.  At that point the AVR is doing everything from decoding the raw stream to distribution and amplification.

Good tip.  And also the best way.

• Like 1

I haven't heard either sub, but I would consider going from a 12" sub to a similar 12" sub NOT an upgrade, it's a lateral move.

I haven't heard them or looked at the specs HOWEVER going from a 12" 20 year old sub to a new 12" sub should be an improvement.  Driver technology is light years ahead of what it was 20 years ago.

Ha, you're worse than I am!  Don't let a lack of information stop you from reaching a conclusion!  :lol:

But come on, at least look at the specs before you declare your uninformed opinion is more valid than my ignorant opinion!  :P  I've heard 20 year-old speakers that sound every bit as good if not better than speakers built today.

Dear heavens, man, have you never heard of the La Scala

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

Ha, you're worse than I am! Don't let a lack of information stop you from reaching a conclusion!

It's never stopped me in the past. :)

But come on, at least look at the specs before you declare your uninformed opinion is more valid than my ignorant opinion!

I'm normally too lazy when something is obvious to me but since you asked, the new sub will go 2 Hz lower and has about twice the output of the old one.

I've heard 20 year-old speakers that sound every bit as good if not better than speakers built today.

Speakers/subwoofers = apples/oranges, at least to me

• Like 2

But come on, at least look at the specs before you declare your uninformed opinion is more valid than my ignorant opinion! -Dave

I'm normally too lazy when something is obvious to me but since you asked, the new sub will go 2 Hz lower and has about twice the output of the old one.

Ha!  Made you look!  :P

• Like 1

BDP is Bluray disc player and in the settings for audio there should be some options for PCM, bit stream processed, or unprocessed.  It is easy after you look. :)

Looking?  What am I, the Pope?  LOL.  :P

Okay I will give it a looksy....

Lemme ask one more stupid question...

Why is it that when I listen to (for example) Despicable Me, everything is so beautiful and crystal clear, but when I watched the Watchmen, the sound was a lot more flat sounding, with dialogue seeming to low and I wasn't being thumped in the chest with the bass.

I'm such a novice sometimes.

-s

Why is it that when I listen to (for example) Despicable Me, everything is so beautiful and crystal clear, but when I watched the Watchmen, the sound was a lot more flat sounding, with dialogue seeming to low and I wasn't being thumped in the chest with the bass.

What is your setup, ie 5.1, 2.1, etc?

I went to 5.1 a few years ago because TV is now 5.1.  The 2.0 speakers were just miserable in translating the 5.1 broadcast, dialog was weak sounding, no bass.

I will still guess the electronics of your AVR is not sending the signal the way you think it would.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

What is your setup, ie 5.1, 2.1, etc?

I went to 5.1 a few years ago because TV is now 5.1.  The 2.0 speakers were just miserable in translating the 5.1 broadcast, dialog was weak sounding, no bass.

I will still guess the electronics of your AVR is not sending the signal the way you think it would.

It's 7.1.

I am going to do some more looking around tonight or tomorrow.  It gets a little frustrating sometimes when 1 movie doesn't sound as amazeballz as another.  

-s

BDP is Bluray disc player and in the settings for audio there should be some options for PCM, bit stream processed, or unprocessed.  It is easy after you look. :)

I just looked and the only option is PCM, does that sound right?

Sony BDPS5200 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (2014 Model)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HPMCO6O?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Running on 

Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B981F1U?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Edited by supercooldude

I just looked and the only option is PCM, does that sound right?

Sony BDPS5200 3D Blu-ray Disc Player with Wi-Fi (2014 Model)

Running on Yamaha RX-V675 7.2 Channel Network AV Receiver with Airplay

I have the same BD player as you, and your Yammie is certainly up to date.  I have an Onk 717 which is also 7.1, currently running a 3.1 setup in the living room.

I really wouldn't think you would have to do anything more than throw your CD or BD in the player and the 675 ought to handle the audio processing from the BD player automatically. 

If you got chest thumping bass before, I can't think of any reason why that should change, unless your sub needs breaking in. I have had speakers that needed break-in, but my recent sub addition ran great right out of the box.  Did you re-run your YPAO after adding the new sub?

Edit:  After thinking about it, you said Despicable Me was fine, Watchman was flat and dialog low.  Has anybody else seen Watchman who can comment on its audio?  SuperCoolDude, did Watchman sound good before the sub change?

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

I am messing around with it now.  I boosted the sub, it was leveled by the YPAO at -8.5, I set it to 0.0 and...holy god......the sub...its its so beautiful *sniff* *sniff* .  Call me crazy, but it sounds so much better now.  Its getting late so I am keeping it low.  My wife can hear it on the top floor (I am in the basement).

I wonder now if Despicable Me now the bass would be too strong....

-s

• 5 weeks later...

I had a SW-12 for many years.

If you are attempting to "calibrate" it using, say, the "room correction"/acoustical setup commonly found in more recent receivers such as that typically used for home theather/5.1/7.1 etc. you probably won't be able to do so. It doesn't have a LFE (Low-Frequency Effects) input or setting. You'll just have to adjust the level to your liking which probably won't be ideal for a wide range of conditions. I set the phase to zero. If you have any bass note dropout/cancellation/augmentation issues change the phase until you get what you want. No easy pre-defined course of action for this - experiment.

FWIW, that sub doesn't really go down very low by today's standards (20 years ago most movie and music didn't have that much if anything down that low anyway - but today they do). I used it my HT & recently sold it for $100 and replaced it with a SVS sub.

Edited by artto

But I definitely find it challenging to balance the dialogue for certain movies.  I wish I knew what to do in those situations because I am constantly messing with the levels and the main volume.

-s

That is because the SW-12 doesn't have a LFE input or setting - which allows the reciever/movie/recording determine "how much" and "what" should be going to the subwoofer.

Edited by artto