Trying to get into some HIP's

jimjimbo

Picked up a nice pair of HIP's today, brought them home and made a very lame attempt (it's late) to get into them from the back.  The back cover is attached by 8 or so screws, and of course also holds the terminal cup.  Took out all the screws and attempted to remove the cover.....no dice....might be glued in, probably from the factory.  Any suggestions as to how to go about this?  Thanks and good night.

These are not KP-250's, etc.  These are straight HIP's, and I'm sure the back comes off in some fashion, otherwise why all the screws?  Will post photos later.  Not sure whether I should try a hair dryer or what to loosen glue, or if I'm missing something.

Congrats on the find Jim. Are these the BG models? 

On the older models like HIP, LSI, MCM the gasket material that was used seemed to have a butyl rubber compound that got VERY hard with age, to the point of being nearly solid. Takes some prying to get the bottoms off LSI I can tell you. I just use wide blade screwdriver at several points. Start about an inch off an corner (to cause the least damage. Put a flat metal putty knife against the edge of the side of cabinet, dig the blade into the back panel, and apply steady even pressure to pry up. It'll take quite a bit of force to get the gasket to release, but once you feel it pop a bit you can go down one edge and around the corner and it'll pop right off. I suggest scraping off all the old gasket and applying fresh, which you can get from PE. 

• Like 2

once you get in there, copy my Xover setup from the Super Heresy's you got from me. It will sound WAY better that way. HIP's basically ran a AA network to make them loud as heck, but kept the bass thin. Bacally you will improve it by taming the midrange on it.

Thank you Michael and Claude!  Just got back from a trip to a little bit north of Indy, where....yes Claude...I picked up a bunch of tubes....sorting through those now, and then will be working on the HIP's.

Yes Michael, they are the BG versions, trim is in pretty good shape, cabinets have a little nick here and there, but nothing major.  Can't believe how heavy they are.  Took off the terminal cup from one and looked inside, looks like new, clean as can be.  Looking forward to cranking them up with the LSI's.....

I know, that's cool.

Finally got into them after taking Michael's advice.  Had to take a piece of trim off the bottom to fully access the panel, but I got them off.  Removed the crossovers, going to go over them tomorrow.  They have solder lug K55V's and square mag K77's, woofers in great shape.  One of the crossovers was a gigantic mess, looks like one or more of the caps was leaking.  Looking forward to cleaning them up and getting them back in service.