Duh...took half a century to figure out the right fryer

Mallette

I prefer lard, but it is SUCH a mess to deal with.  Might work better in this way given the ability to seal it when done.  I tried it awhile in an electric but the cleanup was way too much trouble.  OTOH, nothing fries fish or potatoes like good old fashioned lard. 

I use peanut oil at the moment.

Dave

• Like 1

SP, the only thing that matters is that it be as big as you want and have a good seal.  I wouldn't care for the one I use for frying as a pressure cooker.  I spent several times as much for my actual pressure cooker as for the one I use for frying.  Pretty sure the one I use as a fryer was less than 30 dollars.

I'll try to remember to post the fried chicken recipe.  I don't have access to it at the moment.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

I use the same oil for everything.  Fried hot enough and followed by French fries, the oil remains free of taste.  Since I use the twice fried method for fries, they only take 4 minutes or so after the fish so all is perfect serving temperature. 

My mom always said that frying potatoes would cleanse the oil.  I can only say that it seems to work for me. 

I use a big gas flame as I really don't like to see the oil drop below 350 when I put food in there.  I heat it to 400, which is another reason for a BIG deep pot as overflows are both health and fire dangers.  I use an 8" or so diameter Chinese brass wire dipper to lower fries or whatever in SLOWLY so as to avoid overflow and keep a CO2 extinguisher handy just in case.  Pretty much 100% instantly effective against an oil fire with minimal collateral damage. 

High temperature and a strong heat source to minimize the dip in oil temperature is the key to first rate fried goodness.  Nothing worse than food boiled in oil...

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

gas cooking like God intended

LOL.  God intended wood and then charcoal, not earth farts.

I've bene using this quite a bit, real wood charcoal, you know, without the coal. Much harder to get used to but with a ceramic kamono style grill it's much easier. I cooked an entire batch of chicken thighs on like 10 pieces of the stuff the other night.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_297978-37442-00754087710153_1z0wejb__?productId=50302903&pl=1

• Like 1