Quartet cabinet damage - need advice on repairs

RSBoom1234

Hello all,

Long time reader, newbie for posting.

I recently picked up a pair of sequintial numbered Quartets. Had to drive 1-1/2 hours to get them, when I got there the seller "forgot" to mention that one of the cabinets has what I would consider - heavy warpage. Looks like someone had a plant sitting on top of it and the top panel and the left side panel are warped due to over watering and the water running down the left side panel. The warpage is into the MDF, not just the veneer (I think).

The speakers still sound great, no resonating in the warped speaker and while both could use a light sanding and oil or stain the warpped one is noticable (to me). I didn't want to leave empty handed after the long drive so I offered the guy 2 bills for the pair and he took it.

Now for my question or questions, after I empty the cabinet how difficult is it to remove the top and one side panel and replace with new MDF of the same thickness? This of couse is without damaging the other adjacent panels.

I know I will have to re-veneer the entire cabinet/pair which is not a bad thing as there are alot of really cool veneers out there. I just need to know if it is more trouble than its worth.

Any advice or suggestions are deeply appreciated.

• Like 1

Are these the ones you picked up?

00H0H_dMLD7YG4kH0_600x450.jpg

If so, the advice I can give is way below the expertise it will take for the restoration.

I am sure some of our talented woodworking forum members will chime in.

The speakers still sound great

Even with this damage? :o

00j0j_bmuyajfktmN_600x450.jpg

If these are not the ones, disregard my reply and good luck with the ones you have. :unsure:  :)

Bill 

Bill,

Definatly not the pair I bought, I would of passed on those. The pair I bought play fine and sound good, just one cabinet has the damage I mentioned. Thanks for the reply though.

Thank goodness. :D

I was a little concerned because those in the photo are trashed. :wacko:  :o

Hopefully you will be successful in restoring your new babies.

Bill

• Like 1

If you don't mind spending a little coin, drive the damaged one to a reputable cabinet shop or two and get a quote, it's a slam dunk for them the cabinets are simple by their standards. IMHO MDF is OK baltic birch which they have plenty of is better, maybe also ask for a quote to make a new box and move the motor board over and get it veneered?

I think it is just about impossible to remove the top and side in a neat surgical way which would allow replacement with new boards.  But, you could try that as Plan A and then go to Plan B.

Plan B is to just preserve the front and back panels in good condition and then build a replacement box. 

These are certainly the pieces which are most difficult to recreate.  A thin hand saw might work.  Of just pretty much cut the top, sides, and bottom panel until you get to within 1/8th inch of the substance of the back and front and then use some very accurate means to cut down to the boards you want to keep.  (My thought here is that if you are going to do away with everything but the back and front and a little of what is left attached to them, then the techniques for cutting them clean become simplified.)

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

That's what I was thinking, just didn't know how well the cabinets are built. If I could remove the two damaged panels without damaging the adjacent panels. Definitely don't want to damage the motorboard or the rear panel. The Klipsch labels with the serial numbers are still on the rear and they are a sequential numbered pair. Also are the Quartet cabinets made out of MDF or what material are they made of?

Wood is fairly cheap.  All the repair work may take longer than building a new box with good wood, bracing and seems.  Lows or Homedepot will cut the wood down to size for free. 

Repairing what you have will be much easier than properly building new cabinets.

Man-0-Man those have been through the grinder, Good luck w/repair.

Kind of remindes me of the "Katrina" speaker days.

That and all the flooded cars that came out of the area and got resold throughout the states.

Lets hope that dosen't happen again.

I'd still take it to a cabinet shop for a new birch box and transplant the motor-board and rear board if the label is important.

My experience with HW store cuts is 80 accuracy from one side of the cut to the other.

I think I'm going to attempt to cut out, carefully sand down and replace the damage panels first. That way if it does mess up the adjacent panels I can always go have a cabinet made. I really appriciate all the info and feedback.

It will probably be a few weeks before I can get started so if anyone has any other ideas or tips I will gladly listen. Now to pick out some cool veneer... Thanks again guys.