Sub Amp Comparisons...

SWL

I know many don't like the speaker level inputs but I think I get the balance better and I am getting the same signal at the sub amp as I am getting at the main speakers.

There's a very expensive high end audiophile type of speaker/sub manufacturer who recommends that the high level inputs be used. However, this is mainly for crossing down low for music. There's no way this is feasible for home theater. Sending a 15 hz amplified signal to your mains just so your subs can pick it up doesn't seem to be real smart.

http://rel.net/support/faq/

"SHOULD I USE HIGH LEVEL INPUT CONNECTION OR LOW LEVEL INPUT CONNECTION?

Unless your amplifier does not allow for High Level Connection we always recommend using the High Level Connection. The purpose of using the High Level Input, instead of the Low Level Input, and connecting to the speaker output terminals is one of the unique secrets of REL’s success. By connecting to the high-level input on the REL from the amplifier you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain. In the way, the REL is fed the exact signal that is fed to the main speakers. This is a very important point and together with REL’s Active Bass Controller (ABC), ensures far superior system integration of the sub-bass with the main system."

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I know many don't like the speaker level inputs but I think I get the balance better and I am getting the same signal at the sub amp as I am getting at the main speakers.

There's a very expensive high end audiophile type of speaker/sub manufacturer who recommends that the high level inputs be used. However, this is mainly for crossing down low for music. There's no way this is feasible for home theater. Sending a 15 hz amplified signal to your mains just so your subs can pick it up doesn't seem to be real smart.

http://rel.net/support/faq/

"SHOULD I USE HIGH LEVEL INPUT CONNECTION OR LOW LEVEL INPUT CONNECTION?

Unless your amplifier does not allow for High Level Connection we always recommend using the High Level Connection. The purpose of using the High Level Input, instead of the Low Level Input, and connecting to the speaker output terminals is one of the unique secrets of REL’s success. By connecting to the high-level input on the REL from the amplifier you build forward the sonic signature of your main system, including the tonal balance and timing cues of the entire electronics chain. In the way, the REL is fed the exact signal that is fed to the main speakers. This is a very important point and together with REL’s Active Bass Controller (ABC), ensures far superior system integration of the sub-bass with the main system."

Never had an issue using low level inputs and not all subwoofer amps have high level inputs.

Not all components have pre-outs either so options can be limited.

If i had my choice i would use low level inputs because its easier to hook up but never noticed any difference in sound one way or the other.

My old Pioneer SX does not have pre-outs so i have to use high level inputs, luckily my subwoofer amp gives me both options.

Would there be any issues using one channel of a stereo integrated amp to power a sub? A Tuba in this case.

Reason I ask is because it seems I always get the best results from a mono signal. So if I'm only using one of the channels it should be mono since the Paradigm X-30 subwoofer controller that's feeding it has already summed the two channels into mono. Am I missing something?

For example, my HH Scott 222c and Marantz Model 30 both have their own dedicated center channel outputs. In my case I use them for a subwoofer output and they work AWESOME this way.

My Behringer EP4000's designated for subwoofer use only, sound better in 'parallel mono' vs. in 'stereo' even though they are being fed a summed signal from the Paradigm X-30 just like I described above.