Getting RS-3's, is this wire ok???

Orange Peel

I'll be getting my RS-3's this weekend from Jim (jtkinney on this board), and I have some left over Acoustic Research Performance Series 16 gauge wire, is that ok to use, or should I go get some 12 gauge Monster Cable XP wire or something? Thanks for any suggestions, right now I have IXOS Bi-wire for the RF-3's, and some left over Monster Cable Standard S16 wire for the RC-3 center, homemade bi-wire setup Wink.gif

Thanks in advance!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3'sc>

Klipsch RC-3c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

This message has been edited by Orange Peel on 08-21-2002 at 01:37 PM

quote:

I have some left over Acoustis Research Performance Series 16 gauge wire, is that ok to use, or should I go get some 12 gauge Monster Cable XP wire or something?

I am not some speaker wire guru, but 16 gauge should be adequate. However, I think it is safe to say that most folks would recommend the 12 gauge. I also would think 12 gauge would be better because of the typically longer wire lengths required for surround speakers.

As far as recommending Monster XP or some other esoteric brand of wire, I personally use for my home setup 12 gauge speaker wire I bought from Home Depot. I originally had the Monster XP 16, but replaced it with the previously mentioned wire. You can get a 250 ft spool of wire (12 gauge) for about the same price (~$65) as a 150 ft spool of 16 gauge Monster XP. It may not be as fancy, but the sound performance is just as good (if not better).

------------------

Ranger

"honesta mors turpi vita potior"

Mitsubishi WS65819

Denon AVR 4802

Denon DVD-1600

Denon DCM-370

Sony SCD-CE775 SACD

Klipsch RF3II (Mains)

Klipsch RC3II (Center)

Klipsch RS3II (Surround)

SVS 20-39 PCi (Sub)

ProntoPro TSU6000

I am not sure of the model of the wire, but I saw some Monster 16 gauge speaker wire that is in a clear plastic "tube" and the + and - conductors are twisted. I think in a long run for your surrounds you would benefit more from twisted pair wire than from getting a thicker wire.

Just my opinion.

Vladi

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: RSW-10

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

I am one of the few people who believes that cable doesn't make as big of a difference as it's hyped up to be. sure, its nice to be able to say i have the m series monster cable (i do, it was a christmas present), but, I think after you spend more than 50 dollars on some cable, the price to preformance ratio drops like some guy walking in to a pit fall.

------------------

-Trevor

Scott,

Right now the RS'3's are wired with 16 ga generic speaker wire (which is swagged from the wall unit to the A/C grill to the speakers mounted at the ceiling). I have some 12 ga low voltage light wire that I was going to use (hidden behind crown molding).

Maybe it's a good thing that I never got around to installing the crown molding. Now the rear LaScalas are mounted near the floor and I have to rerun the wire around the base boards.

------------------

Jim

Family Room:

1978 Klipschorns (mains), SF'2's (center), 1979 La Scalas (rear surrounds), RC-3 Rear Center, KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever, Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player, Toshiba SD-1200 DVD, Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

Bedroom:

Yamaha RX-V590, SF-1's Mainsc>s>

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try out the single strand of 16guage, and then see if there's a difference if I twist two strands together. I just always thought that the further the speaker is from the reciever, that the lower gauge wire should be used, to help carry the signal better for that long distance. But if you guys say other wise, I will be listening to you then Smile.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RF-3'sc>

Klipsch RC-3c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Wes, where can I find that article? Do you have the link? Thanks!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

scott, if there's any need for thicker wire, its to carry the lower bass material which requires the most current. when you set speaks to small it filters off this material & hence reduces the need for more capacity (thicker wire) to fill this need. reduces the need to nil for anything thicker than 16 ga up to 50 ft

minimum imho.

just wanted to re-emphasize that point. sure any thorough, truely neutral, article on wire would mention this. Smile.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Home Theater Magazine just ran an article on running speaker wire. You may want to check it out on their website. They mention something about gauage and length if I remember correctly.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?124

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

This message has been edited by krusty46 on 08-21-2002 at 10:56 PM