TAD 4002 -How Low Can It Go

babadono

While reading another thread I learned a couple of these used drivers can be purchased at a reasonable price. So with the intention of someday having 402 horns to put them on I jumped and bought a pair. But for now I am wondering if I could put them on my eliptrac horns paired with KHorn bass bins(or Lascala bins)? So how low can you safely go with these drivers? I have ALK ES networks on both the KHorns and Lascala.

On the Jubilee, they are crossed at 400Hz LR24

On the JubeScala, the K69 is crossed at 470Hz, LR 24

There are no specific settings for the TAD on the K402, atop a LaScala as best I know.  If there is, it's a secret, kept among a few.

My understanding is with an electronic crossover you could perhaps use the 402 on top of a Khorn but, it will look a bit ungainly as it's a bit out of proportion and will hang over the front edge.  (Rigma once posted a picture of this)  I recall he said it sounded good.

It will work on top of a LaScala as the LaScala bass bin can go higher than the Khorn.

Rigma's ceiling slopes down low, so he had to move the K-402s forward a bit for this picture.

wP1010094.jpg

You can run a TAD TD-4002/K-402 on top of a Khorn, but you'll probably need a steeper slope than the typical passive crossover slopes. I'd recommend 400-425 Hz crossover using at least 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossover filters.

Chris

Yea,  I don't have the horns yet. And when (if) I do  I will have the Jub bass bins as well :).  With the ALK ES networks the crossover is at 400Hz. And signal is down 30 db an octave below that. So I think it will not damage the driver to try this on the eliptrac horn?

Edited by babadono

That's a bit further than I'd recommend, simply because of the EQ required to pump up the response below 400 Hz --an additional +10 dB of boost is required on a K-402 horn to go from 400 Hz to 300 Hz.  It would be similar for the Eliptrac horn.  At that level,  it would be easy to start banging the diaphragm into the stops during musical transients.

Chris

You are probably right.  I do remember the 300Hz crossover being discussed by guys wit the exotic conicals.

Honestly, just sound-wise, that would be too low for me.  I didn't like 400, and Roy sent me Klispch cinema specs for 800 at one point.  I have been very happy with 600 and have left it there for a few years now.

Roy gave me/us the parameters when I first got mine.  

To be blunt, I didn't understand what I was seeing, the information and format of it made zero sense to me.

I was looking around on EV's site and found the template above.  Sent it to Roy (if I recall) and he put the proper numbers in the proper boxes.  Now, as you scroll through the front of the DX, you will see all those and it made it easy as pie.

Now that I had and better, understood the template, when he came out with other configurations I copied them down.

Later I saved them as PDF's and viola, there you go.

Rest easy though....  I put the bill in the mail to you.   :)

To clarify two things.

I said when Roy came out with other settings....  I meant this TAD file verses the original K69, then the JubeScala file (with the K69) and if I recall, the K402 atop the MWM.  

I also have a couple 510 files even though at the time, I didn't have a 510 (I do now)

I have these on my hard drive as individual PDF's, Excel files (individually) and a large Excel file with all of them in one file.  I also have most, if not all of them, in the Dx38 RACE data-file format.  I think it's a "TLX" format.

None of the others can be posted on the forum.

The TLX file is great if you link your Dx38 to your PC and use the RACE program.  You can then simply upload the TLX file, save it to your DX and you're done.

I do however, think it's good that someone learn to program through the front panel.  You will learn what I learned.....it's not difficult.

Also, if you program via the RACE program, it is MUCH MUCH MUCH easier to give different names to profiles.  Assigning names (text) to a file via the front panel is a pain in the butt!!  There, I said it on a public web site, it's a pain in the butt!!

Using the RACE program makes it easy as pie.

I kind of wish I had the RS-232 port (if I have the correct part) so I could link my two Dx's together.  As it is, I have to move a serial cable from one to the other.  A minor pain in the butt too but it can be worth it for the other ease of use.

You are probably right.  I do remember the 300Hz crossover being discussed by guys wit the exotic conicals.

Honestly, just sound-wise, that would be too low for me.  I didn't like 400, and Roy sent me Klispch cinema specs for 800 at one point.  I have been very happy with 600 and have left it there for a few years now.

The k1133's go down to 320 without EQ, which is how I used them with a single capacitor for over 2 years with Audyssey 32 for room correction. As to Dean's bias against Titanium, the ones you objected to had 15 db or Ramming at 12 Khz. so no wonder. They sound great when you let them roll off naturally and use a great tweeter with them.