Any local (NY, NJ, CT) Klipsch Jubilee owners willing to demo? ....

joeinid

I keep talking myself in and out of Klipsch Jubilee speakers. I guess I really need to hear them to decide. I know they will be great, but I just need to get a feel for what they are and gauge their size in the room.

I realize that I may have to travel some distance, if necessary, and am hoping I can get the flavor locally.

Thanks!

I keep talking myself in and out of Klipsch Jubilee speakers. I guess I really need to hear them to decide. I know they will be great, but I just need to get a feel for what they are and gauge their size in the room.

I realize that I may have to travel some distance, if necessary, and am hoping I can get the flavor locally.

Thanks!

In a couple of months, if you still have not heard them then send me a PM.

Mine are not authentic. The bass bins are copies and set up in a WTW configuration and the tweeter drivers have been upgraded to JBL. IOW they may not be representative of what you can buy. Additionally, the set up is currently pulled apart for mods (a never ending story I am afraid).

Let me try and help if you are sitting on the fence about purchasing Jubilees. First, if you like the sound of Klipschorns, you will find the Jubilees to have a similar sound (sense of realism in the dynamics and an authoritative bass). However, that is just a general point of reference since they do sound better than K-Horns.

The foot print is about the same as a K-Horn but they are taller. They benefit from corner placement but do not need to be tight in the corners. The stock 2-way version sounds very good even without the fancy drivers and because of their directivity they can work better in a smallish room compared to the K-Horns. The K-402 horn (the big one) sounds better than the K-510 (although it is still pretty good in its own right). I would not bother substituting other tweeter horns, especially in a two-way configuration. Personally, I would not bother with a passive crossover and would go active instead (using the settings provided by Roy Delgado). An active crossover allows temporal "alignment" of the two drivers and is a real plus.

The drawback for many is the cosmetics. There are documented examples of at least four different overall strategies.

First, keep them stock and exposed for an industrial look (perhaps capping the bolt holes on the K-402 flange with black auto trim. Beware, the factory paint job is not great. It is what you would expect for a pro-sound application.

The second is to keep the horn exposed but use a nice veneer panel on the baffle and fabricate a grill cover for the bass bin (examples would include what Rigma did or the model shown at CES - there is a picture with PWK sitting next to them). BTW, the horn will have surface defects on it and it would not be simple to put a good coat of paint on them (especially on the back).

Third, dress up the bass bin and either build a compatible box (similar in concept to the K-Horn) for the tweeter horn (Kudret did this) or trim it out the way one of the guys did with brushed aluminium pieces.

The fourth direction would be to hide them behind custom made  Shoji screens ( I did something roughly similar to this idea). Each of these strategies allows for dozens of variation, but it does require some DIY skills.

No matter what you do they are still big speakers. There have been some that went with exposed hardwood tweeter horns (hand crafted). They do look nice but  personally I would shy away from those since I am a big believer in using the K-402 horn.

I have painted with a broad brush, but I hope these comments are helpful.

Edited by PrestonTom

You may wish to re-establish contact with Tom since there are only a couple of known Jub owners in that extended geographical area...one in Buffalo and one in Westhampton, MA, the second of which doesn't visit the forum very often.

Chris

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

I started way back when with RB-5-II and more recently owned new Corwall III's for 2-3 years. I probably should have kept them, but hindsight is 20/20.

I had an opportunity last year to get demo K-horns at a great price but since my main listening room does not have proper corners, I'd have to build false corners and that did not look like that was going to happen for me.

I think I understand the Jubilee sound, I'd like to experience it in person sometime.

I am curious, how familiar is the OP with the Klipschorns?

Edited by joeinid

You have a nice airport nearby.  For the price of some of these things, you might consider a day trip somewhere that connects directly with your airport??

Could be money well spent.  You'd be welcome to fly into Knoxville for a day trip here if nowhere else.  

• Like 1