RB-81 ii: Does it have a true compression driver?

adam2434

Does the 81ii have a compression driver or just a tweeter?

The product descriptions I've read are not consistent on this.

Also wondering if anyone has done a 81ii vs. 75 comparison. Based on some of the specs, seems like the 75 is the beefier of the two.

Edited by adam2434

Also wondering if anyone has done a 81ii vs. 75 comparison. Based on some of the specs, seems like the 75 is the beefier of the two.

I have not done an 81II vs 75 head to head but have done a 35 vs 75 comparison.  IMO, a very noticeable improvement and that carries some weight because I really liked the two pairs of 35's I have owned.  Expect an 81II vs 75 to be a closer match with the 75 still a clear winner, IMO.

Bill

I have not done an 81II vs 75 head to head but have done a 35 vs 75 comparison. IMO, a very noticeable improvement and that carries some weight because I really liked the two pairs of 35's I have owned. Expect an 81II vs 75 to be a closer match with the 75 still a clear winner, IMO.

I've done a RB-81II vs RF-7II head to head and the RB-81II's held their own at moderate volumes.  The RF-7II's presented a bigger soundstage and had the advantage in sensitivity, but the RB-81II's were no slouch. 

From the spec sheet.

HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVERS 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression

driver mated to 90°x 60° square

Tractrix® Horn

OK, thanks.

Perhaps my perception of CD is limited.  On the RB-81 ii, the diaphragm is flush with the horn (like a horn loaded tweeter).  On other CD's I've seen, a screen over the CD exit is visible, but the diaphragm is further back in the CD assembly.