Parallel 6AQ5/6005 SEP Thoughts and Impressions

Jim

So I wound up getting Maynard's amp, and it is definitely a great find. As I am writing this,I am listening to it with mixed types of music.

The first thing I'd like to say is it's definitely not bass shy. I am using it with my forte II's with Crites crossovers and titanium diaphrams.The bass is almost sub like. This amp also has 2 knobs on it that can adjust the treble so that it tames the harshness with music. I find though I don't need it. The imaging is almost SET like and the sound stage nice and wide. I am still playing with placement on mine to see if I can do any more tweaks. I also like how he built it with the front being slightly higher than the rear for heat to escape through the holes on top. I also like how it's basically 2 mono amps on one platform.

After listening to all 3 amps I have, I'd have to say this one has better bass response over the other 2,and with being able to adjust the treble (if you want to call it that),better highs.This one also seems to clip a little before the others,but then again,it's not made for loud ear ringing volumes (unless up close within 7 feet).I'm sitting 9 feet from my speakers and they are 7 feet apart.The amp is super quiet with no humming or buzzing at all. The Yaqin doesn't seem to dig as deep,but with more power I can listen at louder levels than with this one. The Yaqin I'd say, also is 3rd on the list with imaging and sound stage. The SET I just had modded is a close 2nd right behind the SEP and is also extremely quiet  but due to it being SET, doesn't dig as deep. All 3 amps I'd say have their place within what I'm doing, and all 3 sound different, but I can see this amp getting more and more playing time as I go. The Yaqin will most likely be put 3rd in use behind the SET.

For anyone contemplating this build, I'd definitely do it in a minute. Don't let the small wattage fool you,it will power your speakers just fine.

Jim, I am assuming this is the amp you are talking about. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148658-another-custom-tube-amp/

Great acquisition. I have 3 SET's right now and they are all different but all are very nice in their own way. I swap them in and out and enjoy the differences in them. I am building another of Maynard's designs at the present time, a SEP my first. 

No, I didn't get that one, I got the big brother to it. I wanted that one also,lol.

This one if I'm not mistaken is about 7wpc, and the one in the thread is 1.5wpc.

I'm still playing with positioning and just put in the 90 degree angled rca jacks for better placement of the amps so there's equal distance between them.. I hooked in an Aphex 204 Aural Exciter also to see how things are sounding as well.

post-59264-0-79800000-1451521672_thumb.j          post-59264-0-73920000-1451521933_thumb.j

Edited by Jim