Geometry of KLF30 ?

PrestonTom

In another moment of insanity, I am considering using a pair of K-31 woofers (12inch used in Jubilee and KLF30's) and a K-510 horn (the little one that is used in some of the Jubilee tops). This project will be for a center channel (summed center for stereo not for home theater). 

So I decided to basically make a two-way version of a  KLF tower. Hey I have all the pieces ...

So far, and I don't know if these are accurate, outside dimensions are (maybe): 

H: 46.5 in

W: 14

D: 16 or 17 

two rear firing ports with a diameter of 3 inches and depth is unknown. 

No idea if there is any "heroic" bracing inside or whether the cabinets are stuffed. No idea if the volume of the mid and tweeter on the KLF 30 is roughly the same as the displaced volume on a K-510 horn and driver. 

I assume the cabinet material is 3/4 inch stock. The crossover is set at 825Hz. 

So there are some unknowns and I do not know if the above measures are accurate. In a pinch I can adjust the length of the ports until the impedance plot shows "equal peaks". 

If anyone owns these and has a tape measure and camera, I would appreciate your help. 

My alternatives are to 1) use a half-size (single driver DIY version) Jubilee cabinet ( I have two extra) and rotate it on its side for

the bass bin. Or 2) build something like a KLF 30 but configure the two woofers in a common volume, push-pull configuration. Or 3) maybe even substitute drone for the two ports. 

Any thoughts are appreciated. The difficulty is my room is only 11 ft wide and I want some space between the center cabinet and the L & R speakers (Jubilees, of course).

Thanks again,

-Tom

Edited by PrestonTom

Tom,

Your dimensions are close enough since I feel the KLF-30's cabinet is too small - also made from 3/4" MDF with little bracing or stuffing - 17" I believe (I'm out of town at the moment to measure).

A cubic foot or two would be helpful with solid bracing and partially stuffed (egg crate, batting or something similar) tuned a little lower, into the low 30's.  I would recommend a simple program that tells you the resonance of a box based on the tuning frequency (what's that like helmholtz resonator or something.

The hand tuning would be the best after that if you felt the need.

8cf would likely be really good but big.

You said you have all the pieces you need, but I was curious what compression driver do you have, and what crossover network?

I have considered doing a similar "super center" as you but I am stuck in several ways, including building or buying an enclosure and choice of woofers.

You said you have all the pieces you need, but I was curious what compression driver do you have, and what crossover network?

I have considered doing a similar "super center" as you but I am stuck in several ways, including building or buying an enclosure and choice of woofers.

The parts I have gathered are by circumstance.

I built an "extra" jubilee bass bin (actually a pair of half cabinets that stack on top of one another - each loaded with a K-31 woofer). The K-510 was laying around from a center channel experiment I was fooling around with. For the compression driver, I am fan of the JBL 2445 and 2446 drivers (2 inch throated and there are frequent deals on eBay), 

In my case, the center will probably be used more as an "ambience channel". My room is fairly narrow and does not really require a summed center channel (but it never hurts to splurge)

Edited by PrestonTom