$75 for a pile of home stereo stuff.... in the pile, a set of KG4's

kjack48230

Hello All,

Just joined to get some advice on what to do with my newly acquired KG4's that I got off craigslist today. It was a bunch of Sony stereo stuff and two sets of speakers. The one set is crap, Acustic Monitors, but the other to my surprise were the KG4's. The cabinets are abused and swollen from water or, god forbid, dog or cat pee. I'm tossing in the idea of salvaging the cabinets and going for a newly constructed box and transfer the speakers into them.

Has anyone tried that before? I'm a woodworking hobbiest so I'm not afraid to tackle that job. It gives me an opportunity to really go far out and use some exotic wood for a truly unique set of speakers. Any advice before I get started? Oh, have to replace the rubber surrounds on the 12" woofers before I put them in the new box, ones already cracked beyond repair. All of the other speakers look ok.

I'll post pictures on the progess, just debating on what woods to use. I have bubinga and purpleheart available but thinking I might try using some curly movingui. The possiblities are endless!

• Like 1

I can tell you that the usual go to on the KG 4's if I recall right in what I've read was Oak finished MDF. You might want to check out some specs on them on the Klipsch AU site or on the Way Back Machine. Nice score though! And welcome!

I'm tossing in the idea of salvaging the cabinets and going for a newly constructed box and transfer the speakers into them.

I'm assuming your talking about scrapping the cabinets and not salvaging them.  That will certainly work.  Use the old panels as a template and make everything as close to the original dimensions as possible.

• Like 3

Sounds like a Great woodworking project.

First id pull every dam speaker, Ohm them out, if they even have a blemish id get it ordered up asap, this way you have known good working componets when fitting is final itno the new cabs.

Second thought is for xovers

Bob Crites, he is a crossover wizard for stock componets and Mods.

http://www.critesspeakers.com/

I wouldn't waste my time refoaming the rear passives, they sell for $30 or less in great shape on the Bay. My suggestion is to make the cabinets taller than the originals. I used 48 x 12 3/4 inch MDF and inserted the speakers in line at the top end of the towers. This brings the tweeters up to ear level and enhances the bass with the woofers mounted lower inside the cabinets. More along the lines of the Klipsch Tangent T-400's. Mine sound fantastic in HT duty and with two channel stereo. You might be able to make them out in my picture. I also mounted the KG4 components in a matching horizontal cabinet and it works great as a center channel.Good luck on the build and nice pick up!

Some folks will steer you to MDF or Baltic ply for your cabs, and fear and find faults with solid wood.

I challenge that and say as long as you watch your moisture content and build as a knowledgeable cabinetmaker, it's all good.

OH - and interior bracing.            Lars

Wow, looks like I came to the right place.

Another question, what was the intent on that passive woofer in the back? I took them apart last night and never seen that before, although I don't normally rip speakers apart.

Hooked them up first to hear what they sound like, one is beautiful. The other, bad! Took that apart first and found someone must have played with it before. The horn wasn't even hooked up and the wires for the horn were hooked up to one of the woofers. I'll check to see if the horn is working at all, maybe they thought if they moved the wires it would work. At worse I'd need to get another horn.

Was able to clean the grills, they were filthy and had something spilled on it, on top of the ton of dog hair. Ugh!

Pictures coming!