PSA for Internet Explorer users: Upgrade or "perish"

Chad

• Administrators

This makes me very happy.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/3019955/microsoft-windows/microsoft-ie-8-9-10-eol-jan-12-itbwcw.html

Microsoft is killing support for Internet Explorer 8, 9 and 10, finally. There’ll be no more patches after January 12: It’s a mercy killing.

There are a few Windows versions where you need to keep running old versions of IE, so Redmond is making an exception. But Microsoft really really wants you to upgrade to Windows 10 and Edge, anyway.

• Like 1

Interesting that they do that when a lot of schools have to use IE, like ours, for Eschool/APSCN for grades, etc.  Some functions don't work in Chrome or Firefox and I'm not ready to wheel out Windows 10 on 2,000 computers just yet.  Especially since Windows 7 is supported till sometime in 2020.  

• Administrators

Interesting that they do that when a lot of schools have to use IE, like ours, for Eschool/APSCN for grades, etc.  Some functions don't work in Chrome or Firefox and I'm not ready to wheel out Windows 10 on 2,000 computers just yet.  Especially since Windows 7 is supported till sometime in 2020.  

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/Internet-Explorer-11-for-Windows-7-details.aspx

• Like 1

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/Internet-Explorer-11-for-Windows-7-details.aspx

Yeah, we have IE 11 on most everything.  Funny thing there is that IE 11 and Eschool/APSCN is quirky, too.  They recommend IE 10.  I have IE 11 on all of the Windows machines and no problems for  the most part. 

I misread and thought the post said IE 11, too.  My bad on that part.

• Administrators

To be fair, IE is really tough to develop around, given the inconsistencies from version to version. However, IE 11 and even more so Edge really took great strides to catch up to current and emerging standards.

That said, developing only for IE is a mistake made by far too many web app companies.

• Like 2

I understand Micro$haft's logic behind this. In makes no financial sense to continue support for outdated browsers. I get it. I just wish it wasn't going to negatively impact me quite so badly.

I work for a company that provides IT support for a number of car dealerships. These dealerships all use web based apps to conduct their business. None of the apps play nice with IE 11, and NOT AT ALL with Windows 10. This means that the 400+ PCs under our care will be vulnerable to whatever the black hats decide to throw out there. Big fun!

Obviously this is NOT Microsoft's fault. It is the fault of the developers of the car dealership apps. They "should" be keeping up but they're not. Either way my life is about to get a lot more interesting and a LOT more busy.

Thank you Microsoft... NOT

I've been good with the "upgrade every other version" with MS and Win10 is one of those.  Just one machine still Win7 waiting in line for Redmond.  Happy enough with Win10.  Stable, faster boot and shut down than 7 and a few other things.  Don't like the push to buy this and that, etc, but that's what comes with "free." 

Edge is very stable and runs everything well.  However, it's totally obtuse as to simply things like "view" and such.  But, having gone down the road to "new" so many times after decades I know I'll figure it out.  I've learned that resistance is futile.  You just have to choose when to get on board the next train. 

Dave