Opinions on this system

viperv21

Hey, I wanted to find out what everyone thought of this setup. It is more on my budget and I wondered if it was a good setup. Has anyone had any experience with these.

Receiver: Denon AVR-3802

Mains: Yamaha NS-6390

Center: Yamaha NS-AC40X

Surrounds: Yamaha NS-6390

Sub: Yamaha YST-SW305

What exactly is your budget? One of the other guys around here, or I could put together a pretty nice Klispch system for around the same, probably. It's worth a try, I would say.

------------------

SoundWise / <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@klispch.com">ProMedia Tech Support</A> / 1-888-554-5665s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 08-24-2002 at 12:59 PM

Kinda ballsy not listing any Klipsch; did you even listen to them? Give a try.

------------------

Turntable - Pro-Ject 2.0

Phono Preamp - Parasound PPH-100

PreAmp - ASL AQ2004DT

Amp - ASL Wave 8 mono blocks

Receiver - H/K AVR-210

DVD - Sony DVP-S360

Mains - KLF-20

Center - KLF-C7

Surrounds - Optimus Pro LX-10

Sub - Yamaha YST-SW160

Reinforcement - JBL 4638

My budget is like this. For a Receiver I am looking at 400-700 dollar range. For speakers combined about 600-800 dollar range. I have nothing against klipsch. I have a set of promedias for my computer and love them. I wish I could afford a good set of klipsch for my home theatre but havent seen any that I can afford.

Check out:

http://brandnamez.com/home.html

http://www.audiogon.com

http://www.hifi.com

and of course eBay for some pretty good deals. I got four Klipsch KG-2.5's from eBay for $200 shipped, would have cost $998 brand new. Look around. If you want Klispch, don't settle for the fast way out and get something lesser.

------------------

SoundWise / ProMedia Tech Support / 1-888-554-5665s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 08-24-2002 at 01:44 PM

I've purchased Yamaha speakers in the past and they are not very good. Very boomy and not very clear. Not familiar with what you posted though. Try a Klipsch Synergy setup.

They can be bought at my local chain store for a little over $1,000. And thats at regular price. I know they can be found for less elsewhere.

I had some Wharfdales in the past that souned pretty good. The Diamond series is a little cheaper and supposed to be decent. Amazon.com has them on sale and Audio Advisor has a few demo pairs on sale.

Whatever you do, I would stay away from the Yamaha's. I didn't care for them. Even if you buy better speakers, but maybe just start with front and rears or maybe fronts and a center for now and add the rest later. You might to try Ubid as well. Just keep in mind shipping.

That receiver is too good for those speakers. Maybe even consider a 2802. Pretty much the same as the 802, but with less power. You can save some cash and put it towards better speakers.

Just my thoughts.

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout

This message has been edited by krusty46 on 08-24-2002 at 01:59 PM

Viper - Like everyone else is saying, you should really check out some Klipsch, if your budget is tight, you can get a set of SF-2's (Synergy Series) online for around $400, maybe less, not sure. Hell, you can get brand new RF-3II's for $550 on ebay, add the RC-3 center for $250, and you're at $800. That's a killer setup right there. I got my stuff used from Wes on this board. Jim Kinney (jtkinney on this board) is looking to sell his SF-2's, RC-3 and 2 KSW10 subwoofers right now, why not email him and chat about it. The SF-2's sound killer as well, I was gonna pick them up before I got the RF stuff. People on this board rock dude, lots a friendly advice and are wonderful to deal with if you purchase from them. Jim's equipement is in prefect condition, so no need to worry about that if you buy from him. Anything's worth a try, don't settle for 2nd best like I did right away, I bought a Polk Audio RM6000 system, and within 30 days I got rid of it for some Klipsch, it didn't even compare to the Klipsch, not a lot does unless you're paying $5000+ for one speaker. Especially with the Denon 3802, you will rock the Klipsch speakers due to their super high efficiency, trust us!!!

Hope that helps a little.

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Your budget: "For a Receiver I am looking at 400-700 dollar range. For speakers combined about 600-800 dollar range"

First, I find it intersting to ask the Klipsch board about Yamaha speakers...you can probably guess the response, but I'll bite:

Sub/Sat option: The Energy Take 5.1 system is $600-something new and complete on ebay. Seems to be a favorite HT system for that price. BUT note: The Denon 3803 has the latest Dolby technology which sounds best in "large" mode which requires full range speakers. I want full range surrounds.

The Denon 2802 5.1 receiver might be a better fit for the budget, but I've heard the 3802 is the best price/performance point in the Denon product line and it lets you add more speakers in the future or add speakers for another room.

I'm in a similar budget minded mode. The Klipsch Heritage was the minimum I wanted to have so I'm buying it piece by piece as I collect funds. The Denon 3803 is my proposal and they seem to be $700 which is a big chunk of your $1500 budget.

You could buy the Denon and a big pair of Klipsch Heritage LaScala or Cornwall for about $1500 and use spare speakers for surround and center (if you have them) while you save for Heresy's to finish the system--probably $650 for 3.

You could also use the Denon and Cornwalls/LaScala in phantom mode with no surrounds and save.

Here's my budget & plan

Cornwalls $860 front l/r --purchased

Heresy c,rr,lr $650

Receiver: Denon 3803 $700

These things are already in place:

DVD - PS2 game console

Turntable: Denon DP-790

Computer: PII/400 HP Kayak XAs w/17" flat tube

-MusicMatch and Nero Wave editor and 24x CD burner

Linksys cable modem and router/switch

27" Sony TV (until bigger)

for my system, I bough SF-2's for the front, SF-1's for the rear, and SC-1 for the center. I used to have a JBL sub, but I now have an RSW-15. I held off on the receiver as much as possible, so I could spend more on the speakers, and in my opinion, the actual sound quality doesn't change a ton with receiver cost. The total for the speakers without the sub was about 1100.

------------------

-the forum prowler

All great options here. If you're committed to getting something complete, right away, check around (as mentioned) for the Klipsch Synergy series. There is a setup called the System 6 which will come in around your price range. It is composed of the SB-1 bookshelf, SC-.5 center, and SS-.5 surrounds. If you can, get a 12" sub versus a 10" sub -- just more flexible.

Doug

------------------

My System

viperv21, welcome to the board.

I agree with Orange Peel when he says to stick around here to stretch those speaker dollars. You would be surprised how far your dollars can go by private sales on this forum, or just good advice on great deals that are out there. Plus, the forum is full of quality individuals too - many mutually satisfying deals are made right here.

Think big! Those speakers are the most important purchase you will make - choose wisely, and sonic bliss is yours! The Heritage and similar models (Klipschorn, Belle, LaScala, Cornwall, Heresy, plus the Chorus and Forte) are excellent offerings that are out there used. GET EDUCATED ABOUT THESE!! These speakers are built to last - many on the forum have speakers built in the 50's, 60's, and '70's, and still going strong. IOW, built like a brick $#it#ou$e. They might last longer than you do. People sell 'em at garage and estate sales for pennies against market value - they see an old, antique, large speaker that certainly has no value. Whoops! Good for us! Look anywhere used speakers may show up - newspapers, garage sales, estate sales, online auctions and used gear listings on the web - and right here on this forum. You would be surprised just how far $800 can go - and you'll get much better build versus the new stuff! A LaScala pair recently sold on this board for $350 - these were $3000 new. These will rock the world! If you have some woodworking skills, you can increase the value of those cheaply obtained, beat up speakers into "jewels of your abode".

Like everything else, "they don't make 'em like they used to!" The new stuff sure sounds good, but IMHO, the Heritage is "where it's at". I suggest finding a forum member that lives near you to give you a demo - you'll be instantly hooked. Do some forum searches, too - we've discussed these speakers over and over. Plus, there are lots of pictures in those old messages, too. You'll never want anything else again......

Repeat after me: I want Heritage....I want Heritage......I want Heritage....

6th Ave Electronics has the RP5's on sale for $599 a pair. I know not everyone's 1st choice, but they are Klipsch Reference and they have built in subs.

That might be a good start.

http://www.6ave.com/product.jsp?x=RP3

------------------

Mains: KLF 10's

Center: RC-3 (I know--doesn't match mains)

Surrounds: Quintets

Receiver: Denon 3802

DVD: Denon DVD-900

TV: Sony 36XBR400

VCR: Mitsubishi HS-U48

LaserDisc: Pioneer D605

MIT T2 and T3cables throughout