Digital Neophyte - Need advice on streaming Spotify

tlarwa

So I'm a hardcore vinyl guy ... built a listening room around my vinyl rig, and have enjoyed it immensely. But, I've been expanding my jazz collection and repertoire, and I've found that a good, affordable way to find out what I like before I shell out good $$ on quality vinyl is to preview it on Spotify. So, I'm using the USB connection on my Yamaha CD-S300 CDP to allow me to Spotify through my system. I currently have one of my iPads connected to the CDP. What I really like is that I can control that iPad (through Spotify) with my iPhone remotely from my listening chair. It's awesome! What isn't awesome, though, is the quality of the music playback. It's not horrible, but it's certainly many steps below my analog rig. I'm wondering what a logical, and affordable, upgrade path would be. I would be willing to add a DAC, to replace the CDP connection I'm currently using, but I'm not sure what to get that will allow me to use my iPad/iPhone combo like I am now. I know there's a couple iDACs out there (Wadia and Arcam come to mind) but I know precious little about them. Or is there a better way to accomplish what I want to do? I'm not looking to spend a fortune as this will never supplant my analog rig as my primary source. But I would appreciate an improvement in sound quality.

Thanks in in advance for your advice!

Tom

Can't help with the question, but I completely like the whole idea, a great way to hear new music and general listening, the convenience is ridicules.

Yeah, it's a great way to preview music before plunking down cash on new vinyl. But I'd still like it to sound better!

• Like 1

Interesting thread. But I'm not in search of making my digital source equal my analog source, just to make it sound better than it does through the internal DAC in my CDP, while keeping the convenience of being able to control Spotify on my iPad with my iPhone! The more I read, the more sure I am that I need to invest in a decent DAC. The question is, which one to get that will accommodate an iDevice connection. I don't want to go through the effort of incorporating a music server, Mac Mini,or anything like that. I've heard my friends' digital front ends that sound terrific, so I have no doubt they can get there. But not without some significant investment. I'm just looking for a step or two improvement, at a reasonable cost.

A few things on Spotify- Make sure you pay for Premium then go to Options and Select, "High Quality Playback" and also turn off "Set Same Volume for All Tracks". The Audioquest DragonFly 1.2 is a well regarded budget DAC for around $150 or the Shiit Bifrost is also a highly regarded DAC that is more expensive. I dont think the DAC should matter in regards to the IPhone control as the connection is directly to the IPad.

Edited by twk123

1. Yes, get a decent DAC.

2. Do you have a pc to run spotify on? You can run spotify from your pc and still control it with your iPhone.

3. I hope you're paying for spotify premium so you can stream "high quality"

4. Turn off the "make all tracks same volume" option.

5. Not all spotify tracks are created equally. Some will still sound like garbled garbage. I used to rock out to "Du Hast" in my high school days, but the spotify version is a garbled mess. In fact, only the fifth Rammstein album is clean. The first four have fallen victim to terrible encoding artifacts that can be found all over spotify.....Not that I expect anybody here to give a rat's *** about some Rammstein albums. :P

I've also heard these terrible compression artifacts in select Marilyn Manson, Hoobastank, and GnR songs.

Edit: sorry I just reread the part where you said you don't want to run a dedicated music server.

Edited by mattSER
  • Like 1

1. Yes, get a decent DAC.

The big question is which one will work with my iPhone/iPad?

2. Do you have a pc to run spotify on? You can run spotify from your pc and still control it with your iPhone.

No. And as I said in an earlier post, I don't want to go through that hassle. I don't have room for one on my audio shelf anyway.

3. I hope you're paying for spotify premium so you can stream "high quality"

Yes, I have Spotify Premium, and I'm streaming at the highest quality setting

4. Turn off the "make all tracks same volume" option.

I will check on this one. Not sure how this is set.

I found that some artists sound very bad on spotify others really good. Some very good sounding ones are Chicago, emerson lake and palmer. Hard rock/metal seems to be more highly compressed and not as good quality generally speaking. I for one like spotify a lot but it's not perfect. What do you expect for 10 bucks a month or worse free