Wheelchair lift/elevator, need some ideas

Coytee

So 1" incline for every foot of ramp? Do I have that right? It looks like Richard has at least 12' vertical up from basement level to first floor. So that means you need 144 linear feet of ramp? Or 120' for 10 rise?

1 inch rise for each foot of ramp is what is code here on the west coast. 

The ramp might not be the thing for Coytee.  But of course that is for Coytee to decide.   

Or his WIFE  :lol:

Edited by Taz

So 1" incline for every foot of ramp? Do I have that right? It looks like Richard has at least 12' vertical up from basement level to first floor. So that means you need 144 linear feet of ramp? Or 120' for 10 rise?

I'm not sure a ramp is a great idea -- aging takes away the ability to go up or down steeper ramp slopes.  What works this year may not next, as one gets more and more feeble and unbalanced.  I have neuropathy, and can no longer trust ramps of any great steepness.  My gut feeling is to bypass solutions that may not work in the long run, and go for stairlifts, porch lift, or an elevator.  My further impression is that deterioration tends to accelerate with age, so that a ramp could end up being a short-lived solution.

That high upper level deck and steep ground grades in the picture do not look promising!

Do you have a handy aging-in-place contractor or consultant?  You could spend a lot of dough for only a temporary solution.

Edited by LarryC

My wife runs an adult foster care home from our home.  (Probably already said this).  Anyhow we have over 50' of wheel chair ramp which makes for a 100' walk from the house to the driveway.  Have had residents using walkers and crutches on the ramp that has 1" slope per 1' of ramp.  Some are not able to use the ramp and use a wheelchair when they go out.  Most do quite well on the ramp.

Now 50' of ramp is certainly better the 120 or 140' of ramp.  But it seems that the rise per foot of ramp works well for most people even those using a walker.

• Moderators

1 inch rise for each foot of ramp is what is code here on the west coast.

The ramp might not be the thing for Coytee. But of course that is for Coytee to decide.

Or his WIFE :lol:

The incline seems reasonable to me, I was just wondering if I had the math right.