Wheelchair lift/elevator, need some ideas

Coytee

I did ask the wife what she thought about laying a track with something to hold the wheelchair.  (think a kiddie type train) and let it bring her up and around to the back.

Might actually be a fun thing for her.  Make it optional to go out into the yard or field and circle around.  She wouldn't do well with hills and steep drops (like an adult roller coaster).  Have to keep it easy and smooooooooooth for her.

We could make a heck of a layout in the field.

post-12967-0-66580000-1453580085_thumb.j

• Like 1

Any prices on those Larry?

No, and I have no experience with them.  I think you have to contact a vendor or local firm that sells and installs these, such as the Bruno brand.  The installed price is probably much more than the raw price of the bare unit.

Here's a column on what should be considered:

https://mobilitybasics.ca/porch-lifts/porchliftfactsheet

You almost certainly should start with contacting a reputable vendor/installer.

Edited by LarryC

Wow. Mustang Guy brought up something I'd not considered.

A home which is designed for our friends in wheelchairs should have a greater value on the market. Therefore any capital improvement should increase its value on the market. This is to argue against the notion that ramps and lifts are kludgy and detract from value.

This should be true in new construction or what I'll call conversions. There should be a specialized classification of homes and real estate agents to cater to our friends.

WMcD

My sister was wheelchair bound at the ending years of her life.

She had cabinets over the counters that moved down to counter level so they would be wheelchair accessible.

She was too far gone to be able to use them by the time they were put in.  But certainly a wheelchair friendly kitchen.

Does not help in getting a lift in for your niece.  But I hope it shows some value in making homes handicapped friendly. 

She also had remote controlled blinds for her bedroom window,  remote controlled gas fireplace that she liked to sit by.

We have over 50' of wheelchair ramp to the upstairs of our home that we use every day.  Great for bringing in groceries as well as for those that are wheelchair bound.  Slope is 1'' rise per 1' of length.

Coyotee you have PM.

Edited by Taz

DSCN5471.JPG
so can you do a WC ramp on this side of the house if you were so inclined.  possibly with a landing/patio turnaround on the hill.  something with chairs, flowers and other things the Ladies would like.  Maybe even a second route to the back door that would be smooth and comfortable for someone disabled?

Someone please post after me.  I would hate to think "I" killed another thread.  Especially one so worthy as this one.

Edited by Taz

• Moderators

Any prices on those Larry?

About $9,000. Harmer is more commercial grade, used to retrofit older building into ADA compliance.

Looks like you would have a lot of options running that outside.

Going to probably have to pull a permit, and may need to have an annual inspection, because of potential problems that DTEL mentioned.

• Like 1

Would be glad to help with some design advise.  Need to know a little info first.

1) Most desirable INSIDE.  More costly, may not have access...structural/HVAC, etc.  Weather not a factor.

2) Least desirable OUTSIDE.  Less costly, almost unlimited access, sore thumb if not done well, Weather a factor.

3) Std ADA wheel chair maneuverability space around a door is roughly 5 foot square.  MINUMUM for a wheelchair only is 4.1 feet x 2.2 feet.

4) 1:12 ramp slope.

Food for thought

Freedom lift systems

access elevator inc

Electric wheelchairs/lifts

• Like 1

From the picture you gave us it looks like it would not be much of a problem to put in a cement walk up the hill to the upstairs.  You could put a snow/ice melting circuit for when you get bad weather.  You do get snow and ice there.

The lifts refereed to look nice and are not as expensive as I would have thought.  But what if the power goes out?

From the picture you gave us it looks like it would not be much of a problem to put in a cement walk up the hill to the upstairs.  You could put a snow/ice melting circuit for when you get bad weather.  You do get snow and ice there.

The lifts refereed to look nice and are not as expensive as I would have thought.  But what if the power goes out?

I was thinking of something similar.

Looks as though you could just build a ramp off the deck on the side of the house, with the grade going up like that you would end up with none or at least very little ramp incline.

Perhaps I should clarify a bit.

Looking at the picture, you don't really see her "hidden" "secret Garden"  You can see some of the rocks that are part of the retaining wall but on the near side she has all sorts of flowers.  Putting a ramp over that would be detrimental to her flowers.  (I'd be fine with covering them in concrete  :o )

I was envisioning a ramp from the lower door up to the back of the house where there could be a platform that would allow someone to 'exit' the ramp at the back patio or, turn the corner and ramp up to the deck.  In my mind that would be pretty simple to make and still pretty compact.

One thing she likes about the deck is we cancelled the original idea of having a stairway going up to them.  Having no direct access to the deck gives her a higher feeling of safety since someone can't come sneaking up to the upper doors/windows quite as easily.

(forget the fact that we'd have three dogs barking their heads off if someone was snooping around outside)

So having a ramp to the upstairs would be similar to the stairs....and perhaps give a feeling of unease.

(like an elevator won't give access unless we have a way to disable it?)

• Moderators

Would be glad to help with some design advise. Need to know a little info first.

1) Most desirable INSIDE. More costly, may not have access...structural/HVAC, etc. Weather not a factor.

2) Least desirable OUTSIDE. Less costly, almost unlimited access, sore thumb if not done well, Weather a factor.

3) Std ADA wheel chair maneuverability space around a door is roughly 5 foot square. MINUMUM for a wheelchair only is 4.1 feet x 2.2 feet.

4) 1:12 ramp slope.

Food for thought

Freedom lift systems

access elevator inc

Electric wheelchairs/lifts

So 1" incline for every foot of ramp? Do I have that right?

It looks like Richard has at least 12' vertical up from basement level to first floor. So that means you need 144 linear feet of ramp? Or 120' for 10 rise?

I do own an industrial backhoe.  Maybe we could fabricate something for either the loader bucket or the backhoe?  (It's much more fun using the hoe than the loader)

I can see her now....dangling in the breeze....  swinging side to side....

Yeah...  perhaps not.

:unsure: