Wheelchair lift/elevator, need some ideas

Coytee

We've got a niece who's in a wheelchair.  Her favorite Aunt to visit....happens to be my wife.  Therefore, they go out of their way to spend their vacation time here with us.

Because she's getting older/heavier and the layout of our house/landscape, it's difficult rolling her to the back of the house (uphill) to get her on the main level when things are happening there.  Rolling her up/down the hill is very stressful to her. 

We've done some finishing in the basement (finished basement) so we can try to move the social circle down there.  Also, she uses the space as her bedroom.  We even built the shower down there with her in mind so the door is a bit wider and we can wheel her into it when she's on her other wheelchair (waterproof for this purpose).

Now, the idea is to get some kind of elevator to allow better mobility between the two floors.

I've put about 12 minutes so far into researching this and found elevators....and then lifts.

Need something more like a lift that would take her wheelchair about 10/12 feet vertical to get from the patio at ground level up to the deck above and then we'd roll her in from there.

Anyone know anything about these type of items?  Brands, costs?

My wifes father gave her (the niece) $50K when he passed to help fund her quality of life.  Her father (my brother in law) says they want to use some of those funds to pay for the elevator.

• Moderators

I don't know anything about home lifts/elevators. I personally know two people that were seriously injured when the home elevators they were riding in failed. One person passed as a result of the injuries sustained and the other suffered two broken legs.

My advice would be to thoroughly research all options available.

Christy

An elevator is probably out of your price range.

Mt friends wife has MS and they have a chair that rides on a track along the staircase you may want to look into.

Works well but its slow going.

Not sure of cost but should not be overly expensive.

Lifts on a stairway simply won't work in our situation.

It needs to be a vertical lift of some type that will lift her in her chair and perhaps a second person to accompany her on the journey.

I guess if we're considering jeep winches, we could fabricate a trebuchet to launch her over the roof of the house to the upper side?  :o

• Like 2

For start, no I don't know anything about this subject. But:

I would contract whatever hospital she is being treated by and see what they know. Perhaps they have a referral list.

I looked at the sites for Paralyzed Veterans (they must have experience). But there is no referral list. It might be worth a telephone call though.

I also looked at Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago (the number one organization for rehab) but don't see a referral list for contractors. Again, worth a phone call to see who they can refer you to.

I see http://www.ameriglide.com/cache/1405520662000/resources/product/511/productDocument/202.pdf. You might be thinking of something like it. Lift heights to 10 feet. But how they will fit into your home, I don't know.

Finally. I see that there is a standard for such device ASME A18.1. I'd think that is something you want to know about. It cost $17 to download. (Search the 'net.) If this is like some other standards, there will be a list of the people on the committee which drafts it. Usually engineers from the industry. You could contact some of them for information and guidance.

One thought was a wheelchair on each floor and then use a stair lift like I see on TV to get between floors. But perhaps that is too much strain on the lass. Just a thought.

WMcD

Edited by WMcD
  • Like 1

• Moderators

A lift will probably end up being the only option. Just be careful and make sure it's well designed and built with emergency backup if possible in case of fire.

Like my wife said there have been many accidents with some of these models, mostly the cheaper ones which almost look DIY.

In many places close to the coast many people rebuilding have had personal elevators installed because new building codes required houses to be built 20'+ off the ground. in some places. This is the reason for hearing aboutthese kinds of accidents.

It's very nice of you two to do this for you niece.  B)

Just be safe.  

Hey Richard....

Just want to wish good luck.....

My wife and I are in a situation now with her mom.... my wife's dad died last week so now we have to look after her mom....

We are getting the house she lives in renovated for better wheel chair access....also getting the bathroom re-done for bathing her.... "Dad" should of done this years ago...but he didn't want to spend the money....now my wife is spending "his" money he left on what needs to be done!

Anyway...good luck my friend....oh if ya go with a Warn winch....go with the Warn 8274....best winch ever made lol lol....

Take care...

MKP :-)

If you spring for an elevator, you will be making your home more livable when you and your wife get older. My opinion is that you might think about adding the feature and telling the family you did it for you and your wife so you can live there in your old age. I don't know if you can afford it, but a retirement home is pretty damn expensive. 

If you put in an elevator, make sure you use Klipsch for the elevator music.   :)

Found this link: http://www.fixr.com/costs/elevator-installation

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

Wow. Mustang Guy brought up something I'd not considered.

A home which is designed for our friends in wheelchairs should have a greater value on the market. Therefore any capital improvement should increase its value on the market. This is to argue against the notion that ramps and lifts are kludgy and detract from value.

This should be true in new construction or what I'll call conversions. There should be a specialized classification of homes and real estate agents to cater to our friends.

WMcD

If you put in an elevator, make sure you use Klipsch for the elevator music.

That's freaking funny!  But on a serious note, you're going to be looking at a large investment if it's an elevator.  Post a picture of the area that you want to be able to get her from point A to point B and that might help spark some alternative ideas.

I've seen some of those.  Nothing (yet) seems to clear on approximate price tag...  

Absent going outside in the cold to take a new picture, here's an old picture when we were adding onto the house.

The process would be (in my mind) bring her out the basement door where wife is standing.  Turn to her right (left in picture) and go towards those two windows and lift her up to the upstairs deck.  Round number would be around a 10' lift.

I would envision the lift unit essentially blocking the right side of those two windows unless we removed some of the deck and had it lifting where the block wall is.

Meaning, if we lift at the END of the deck, the lift would be further to the left but, we have no space issues with that situation.  If instead, we move the lift closer to the door, we have an overhead problem with the deck so we'd have to modify the deck some.

I don't think the wife would want a lift on the other side where the driveway is as it would be too visible and "redneck".  (anything that detracts from her visuals is a redneck thing with her.  I guess I'm a major redneck?? :unsure: )

post-12967-0-95500000-1453579485_thumb.j