Banna Plugs too long for speaker

BobK

I got some sewell banna plugs and while they fit my klipsh and amp well they do not fit well in the back of my Definitive Tech Speakers.    They don't go all the way in, its like the hole is too shallow.

I don't see shorter ones,  what gives?    Whats the point of putting that type of a connector on a speaker if the plugs are all too long for them?

Maybe I missed it, are there shorter ones for speakers like this?

I got some sewell banna plugs and while they fit my klipsh and amp well they do not fit well in the back of my Definitive Tech Speakers.    They don't go all the way in, its like the hole is too shallow.

I don't see shorter ones,  what gives?    Whats the point of putting that type of a connector on a speaker if the plugs are all too long for them?

Maybe I missed it, are there shorter ones for speakers like this?

I don't use Banana plugs for speakers, Klipschorns will vibrate them out of the sockets if you do a lot of high volume listening!

The only good use for Banana plugs is speed and ease of use if you set up, and tear down and move your stuff often.

I much prefer properly sized spade connectors if you are going to set it and forget it, but my speakers are pushing a lot more SPL.

I also like the wires coming down off of the amps binding post instead of sticking out the back :)

Roger

You can actually use bananas just like spades.  Here's how:

1)  Unscrew the nut on the binding post in question.  If you remove it completely or as close as possible, you might see a hole through the post at a 90 degree angle to the "female" end of the post.

2)  Insert banana plug through this "sideways" hole (warning: it might be a tight fit!)

3)  Screw nut back down until finger tight.  Your banana plug should not yank or fall out.

For what it's worth, I've used single and dual bananas with all sorts of amps and speakers and have never had a problem with a banana that was "too long" for a binding post.  Perhaps DefTech uses a proprietary design to meet European electrical safety standards (banana plugs are verboten in the EU since they can be plugged into wall AC outlets).

• Like 2

You can actually use bananas just like spades.  Here's how:

1)  Unscrew the nut on the binding post in question.  If you remove it completely or as close as possible, you might see a hole through the post at a 90 degree angle to the "female" end of the post.

2)  Insert banana plug through this "sideways" hole (warning: it might be a tight fit!)

3)  Screw nut back down until finger tight.  Your banana plug should not yank or fall out.

For what it's worth, I've used single and dual bananas with all sorts of amps and speakers and have never had a problem with a banana that was "too long" for a binding post.  Perhaps DefTech uses a proprietary design to meet European electrical safety standards (banana plugs are verboten in the EU since they can be plugged into wall AC outlets).

Original poster is correct, some 5 way binding posts are too shallow to allow a standard Banana plug to fully seat!

Klipsch series Quintets are exactly like this! I know, because I got a set with a receiver I purchased. I do not know if Klipsch fixed the problem with subsequent series or not, but I am positive the problem exists!

Roger

• Like 1

I don't use Banana plugs for speakers, Klipschorns will vibrate them out of the sockets if you do a lot of high volume listening!

Using a higher quality plug will solve that problem. Get the ones with spring fingers made of beryllium copper alloy. Also don't allow a heavy cable to pull downward on the plug. My amp rack is 5 feet from modified Khorns that put out in excess of 125 dB during sine wave testing , and no loose plugs in 3 years (3 amps in the rack).

Edited by Don Richard

My '84 khorns not only are cursed with oversized monster wire, but with the short banana plugs.  The latter is only important if you are biamping, then you have to do some re-wiring.  Otherwise, just strip the wires and make a hard connection through the holes as described above. Much better connection. Bannana plugs are not needed if you seldom swap leads.  Once ayear, or so; or if you remember; strip and cut an inch of new wire, re-connect and you will hear many of the supposed improvements audio idiots ascribe to the pruchase of big bucks audiophool speaker wire.

• Like 1