Custom building Cornwall 1's

dtr20

I am doing a favor for a friend and building him a pair of cornwall 1 cabinets. He already has the drivers and crossovers. We think we are going to be using birch 3/4" plywood for the cabinets. I guess my biggest question is what to use for adhesive? I use titebond 3 wood glue for all of my work, but wasn't sure if that is best for speakers. I have read people using pl premium for adhesive. I used liquid nail to repair my KLF 30s a couple of weeks ago. Any suggestions on adhesive and the build itself would be much appreciated. Thank you

• Like 1

I have used the titebond 3 with very good results. I would still seal all interior seams with an adhesive caulk after the titebond is set. I like the one from Locktite that dries clear. Make sure it is the "adhesive" type as there are many caulk types even within the same brands. It will add another layer for the bond and help prevent unwanted air leaks. Now is also the best (and easiest) time to add some additional bracing to the cabinet. I wouldn't go crazy with it, just beef it up while your have the chance.

• Like 1

I've used Titebond II for cabinets. It will fill a small gap.

Caulking in addition might not be necessary but can't hurt. Even if not necessary, it lets me sleep at night, per Bruce Edgar.

Addition by edit.

I found this regarding the various Titebond products.

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/articles/differences-between-titebond-glues/

In the hunt for doing everything as well as possible I tried Gorilla Glue. The original polyurethane type which foams upon exposure to moisture. It is very sticky and a pain in the neck to work with, clean up, and sand.

So I went back to Titebond II and never worried.

More addition by edit.

There are several types of glue sold under the trademark. So be careful when you shop for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorilla_Glue

WMcD

Edited by WMcD