Vintage Tube Preamp

Wolfbane

That X-202 is a giant killer don't hesitate to get it restored... the preamplifier section built into it is darn good. What kind of cosmetic condition is it in?

I had the local tech go through it replacing caps when I acquired it. Unlike lots of old tube equipment its in good cosmetic shape.

I have a number of old Scott and Fisher tube amps and receivers so I need to start putting them in rotation. This particular amp has not been powered on in three years or so.

If you let it sit that long it should have all the tube pins, sockets, controls, switches and I/O jacks cleaned with appropriate contact cleaner and than brought up slow on a Variac.

Brought the Fisher back up slowly Friday night with my Variac. Sounds great with its 7189 output tubes and my Belles. I read somewhere that Avery Fisher voiced his amps and speakers to sound their best with Classical music but I love the way his amps and receivers sound with Blues and Jazz.

If you let it sit that long it should have all the tube pins, sockets, controls, switches and I/O jacks cleaned with appropriate contact cleaner and than brought up slow on a Variac.

Since when did you become a believer in variacs?  As in, "if it's going to fail, startup is the best time to find out" or, " if the voltage is too low, your actually harming the amp, not helping it".

That advice is the opposite of what you taught me.

Scold, Scold, Scold.

For shame, for shame, for shame.

Philistine, Philistine, Philistine.

Edited by thebes

Since when did you become a believer in variacs?  As in, "if it's going to fail, startup is the best time to find out" or, " if the voltage is too low, your actually harming the amp, not helping it".

Scold, Scold, Scold.

I always use a variac when bringing up vintage tube equipment that's been sitting for more than longer than 4 months or so. Never had an issue. I don't use a cleaner on tube pins/sockets but I do re-seat every tube before powering up.

Scold, Scold, Scold.

Geez O petes Thebes.....When I state that I am referring to still 50+ year old original gear that no way in hell is a variac going to magically save parts that old... With a piece of gear that has been rebuilt and sat for a couple years its a completely different story...

Edited by NOSValves