Chorus II finishes and refreshing the finish?

I have someone I am working with several states away who I have assisted in procuring a pair of Chorus II's. Pretty nice condition overall, as well as having crossover and tweeter upgrades from Bob - but we are running into a bit of a problem finding out what exact finish they are. We suspect they are Oil Oak (they have that golden oak look and they were most often seen with Oil Oak finish), but the serial tags were removed at some point, so the finish isn't 100% known if it's oil or lacquered.

The prior owner occasionally rubbed them down with Pledge (not ideal, I know). Given that I cannot see the speakers (four states away), I'm not 100% sure what we're dealing with, but we wonder about the possibility of giving them a light sanding job then re-oiling them properly. If I could eliminate a lacquered finish as a possibility we would be sure what we are dealing with. Did Klipsch make oak Chorus II's in anything other than oil finish? And if they were by chance lacquered, is there any reason we still cannot lightly sand them off and make them an oil finish?

I suspect there is a thread in here discussing some of this but I'm having a hard time finding specifics. Any suggestions or knowledge of a good prior thread addressing this would be appreciated.

I have a pair of Oak Oil Chorus IIs and they have what appears to my eyes to be a slightly darker color of Oak with almost an orange tint to them...I don't recall there being a lacquer finish for these from Klipsch...

Bill

Edited by silversport

You can sand them down and make them anything you want, can even strip all the veneer off and start fresh.   People good with furniture refinishing can make them look anyway you want.  Its just cheap thin veneer really can't mess up too badly.  

Here is my Post #1 where I refinished my Epic CF-4's in medium oak. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

It is the accumulation of information others on this Klipsch forum provided to me when I needed help.  It details exactly what grit sandpaper to use, what exact stains match the Klipsch medium oak color, and tips on what polyurethane (satin, gloss, etc) to use and how to apply it.

Edited by wvu80

Here is my Post #1 where I refinished my Epic CF-4's in medium oak. 

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/149241-epic-cf4-needs-overhaul/

It is the accumulation of information others on this Klipsch forum provided to me when I needed help.  It details exactly what grit sandpaper to use, what exact stains match the Klipsch medium oak color, and tips on what polyurethane (satin, gloss, etc) to use and how to apply it.

Nice work but I did not see a final Before and After photo when all sanding and new finish applied.  I want to see the gouge be gone!