Has anyone worked on RSW15's before

calhockey10

I went to go look at a rsw15 to buy and hooked it up to my receiver and played some music through it and I could hear it rattling I went over and checked out the woofer the back one where it screws in the plastic was cracked on almost every screw hole on the plastic ring and half of them on the front. Is the plastic ring part of the woofer it self or is it seperate and secondly could that cause the rattle.

Edited by calhockey10

I went over and checked out the woofer the back one where it screws in the plastic was cracked on almost every screw hole on the plastic ring and half of them on the front

This is a very severe condition you have there, Mr Hockey.  Perhaps I shall take it off your hands so you no longer are worried with such a fatal flaw :ph34r:

Sounds like a "golden" bargaining chip to me.  If you can get the seller down enough to account for the damage, SOLD :)

I looked at mine and it seems the furthest, outermost ring is part of the woofer.  I am saying this just by my gut feeling from handling other large woofers.  However, it would not be plastic.  If it is indeed part of the woofer basket, it is metal.  Very hard to tell with out actually taking it apart.  Image below may help.  The back woofer is actually the powered one.  The "front" is the passive (unless you are like me and turn the sub around).  If you would like some more photo's, just let me know

post-36834-0-73560000-1457050448_thumb.j

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

right now it is fairly low price wise but he doesn't seem to want to budge any more it is the ring with the screw holes in it but it is on both subwoofers.   On top of the box being pretty rough finish wise and this issue now I don't think it is worth it.  I love my cherry rsw 15 but this black one I have been trying for two weeks to get is nothing but trouble so far. I am so dumb and I didn't take pictures of it 

OK, if I am understanding you correctly?  The ring with the actual visible holes?  That ring is purely decorative and NOT part of the woofer basket.  It is some sort of softer, hard rubber like material.  If that is what is cracked, causing the rattle and not the very outside lip, very likely an easy fix.  

another image I pulled off a sale site

post-36834-0-32280000-1457051954_thumb.j

If that very outside ring is cracked, the woofer is toast IMO.

just an idea, pull one of your woofers (the passive will be much easier).  See if that ring is indeed part of the basket?

Edited by Matthews

That outer ring is part of the woofer basket, they usually crack due to impact like when the sub gets dropped in shipping. I've never seen it happen to a Klipsch woofer but have seen it a few times with Sunfire drivers. A friend of mine used a cracked Sunfire driver that I gave him for a few years without a problem but I'd very nervous about knowingly buying one like that, especially when replacements are not available, I guess it would depend on how cheap you can get it. 

Thank you for the input that was what I was thinking both woofers are cracked not sure if it was the basket or the ring but they aren't looking to go much lower then $425 it seems and although they don't come on the market all that much.  Replacement parts are hard to find for it and the finish on the box was in rough shape to so I will probably pass then thank you.