suggestions for newb 5.1 / 2 channel

Rhoddog

Just started dipping my ears into the world of Klipsch and AV in general and I am hooked. Currently running a Yamaha RX-A2040 with 280's in the front, 450C, 115SW, and some Polk bookshelfs for surrounds. Just ordered some P37's, a P27C, and two P27S's. Matching sub coming soon. So my question(s) is can I keep the Yamaha for HT use and get a stereo amp/pre amp for listening to music ? Amps for HT and amp(s) for 2 channel? One multi channel amp ? Receiver as preamp? Any suggestions or links to any resources would be kindly appreciated, thanks ! My room is 18'x19' , 7 1/2' tall, with an open back (opens up to rest of loft) ; sit about 12 to 14 feet from the speakers.

You can easily use the avr or an avr/ solid state amp for HT and use something else for 2 ch. listening.  I use a tube hybid amp for 2 ch with RF 7's and SS amp/avr for HT.  You need something like this from Niles DSP 1:

post-50685-0-17180000-1457484213.gif

Edited by derrickdj1

I think your Yamaha will be fine as a pre/pro for HT with an outboard amp to drive your front soundstage.  I bet the Yamaha is pretty good for music also.

Derricks suggestion of the amp switcher is a good idea if you want a dual use system with a bit more quality gear to drive your P37s for stereo music.  Maybe a nice quality integrated amp with 90 to 120w/ch.

Bill

Welcome to the forum! 

Here is a link to the Niles that Derrick mentioned: http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=DPS-1&recordID=Source%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00003 You might be able to get one used on Ebay for a bit less.

edit: Found one here used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/161984848571?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Edited by mustang guy

With high quality source material , the Yamaha + p-37's sound pretty not that bad. Cd with the rotel setup still sounds better though to my ears. Can't wait til these pups get broken in

I've heard people say a lot of things about p37's, but that's the first time I've ever heard "pretty not that bad".  :)

It sounds like you are having a great time. 

Cheers,

Craig

Hey Rhoddog, welcome to the forums. Maybe check out Emotiva. They offer some pretty nice amps at fairly affordable prices. I have seen quite a few Rotel owners switch over to Emotiva amps lately. They sound really nice paired with Klipsch speakers too.

Tim

What's up ceptorman ! Could you explain the HT pass through a little bit to me please ? Confused . So I can set up an avr receiver to the pre-amp and use the pass through when I'm watching movies ? Can I also use the pass through with the avr and a diff amp for the front soundstage or just an avr ?

I want to use the same speakers for 2 channel listening and HT use. I'm not completely sure how it works, but here is my take on HT bypass. 

I recently bought an Emotiva USP-1 preamp, it has a HT bypass switch. I have not hooked it up yet. 

My Yamaha AVR will connect to the preamp, then to an Emotiva 2 channel amp, then to tower speakers.  For 2 channel listening, turn on preamp and that will trigger the 2 channel amp, then to a pair of tower speakers.

When I want to watch a movie, turn on the AVR, the signal from the AVR will pass through the preamp and to the same tower speakers. Hopefully this is how it works. It eliminates the need for a speaker switch.

I just learned that Beatles tracks are mixed so when you pan left , it isolates the vocals and sounds ridiculously pure and wonderful . Wowwwwwwwww

I bet you would enjoy this website which contains a database of dynamic range of over 90K albums. 

Dynamic Range Database

Here is an excellent thread discussing Dynamic Range and what we can do about it:

"Loudness War" and the Dynamic Range (DR) Database - some observations

Edited by mustang guy