Tube AMP

BryanJ

Posting here because was guided to by my senior mentors over at tech.

I like low end punch, got a K sub 12" on order for my current system. Which tube amp handles orhas an output for a sub woofer? Want an entry level tube amp to sample the La Scala's, Jolida? Tube Power? So many choices with so many varying reviews. Need one with low end punch/subw out.

Anyone know of one?

BJ

Painless with no need to pick up a soldering iron with a sub out? If you really want an integrated with a dedicated sub out there, then Jolida does fit the bill as they offered this as an option and it was included in a portion of their amps. You see them used every now and again. I prefer the 302 with the EL-34 but you might want the 6550 502.

jolida302b.jpg

I have heard a tad bit more reliability problems with the 502, however. Besides, I think the EL-34 is a better tube. Still, based on your general comments here, are you sure you want tube power?

There are other options as well. You could go with a preamp and amp combo. What are you music tastes?

------------------

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

Hello Atom. Well, I still have not heard any of the Consonance gear yet, believe it or not. I am going to refrain from commenting on them any more until I do actually hear them, and at the rate things are going, it is not looking like this will be happening any time soon. But based on the knowledge of the circuit and the inner workings of both amps, I would say the Ella has a good chance of at least equaling if not bettering the Jolida. Trouble is, you dont see the Ella used too often and if you are going to buy the beast, you are going to have to make it, although it appears to be an extremely easy kit to build with much of it coming premade. Also, it is customizable.

The Ella does potentially have more high quality parts so this is another plus. Neither are tube rectified but better SS rectification can be applied to either. I would probably go with the Ella if you have any desire to build your own or know of someone that could help.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-27-2002 at 10:15 PM

thanks mobile.

since i can buy a builded ella with tubes(around 530$), so ask u to do such comparing. after some study (just study, cann't listen:-( , i finally give up the SET 300B to match my RB-5. the EL34 intergrated looks a better choise, with more power and less budget.

If Brian Cherry can somehow whip up a tube rectified version of the 15w Joplin with the full triode push-pull 2A3 I would not hestitate in giving this a whirl as well. OF all the amps, I want to hear the 2A3 PP Joplin and the Billie with mods.

The other amp I am really interested in hearing right now is the Jeff Korneff 45. I hope to have one of these units sometime this year one way or another!

kh

Mike82 and Les Lammers (AA member) each have one.

Mobile, please let me know what you think of the Korneff 45. I am very much leaning towards that amp when I'm ready to go SET. Of course the Moondogs are my other possibility. Since you will have heard both, I'd be interested in your opinion of the comparison...

Mike

I will be sure to give you my opinions and impressions. But I would probably advise you to just go ahead and jump in the mix with a 2A3 offering since they are very plentiful in the used market and you can make a quick turn around. That last Wright Sound WPA 3.5 2A3 Monoblock on AudiogoN would have been a great purchase for you. Remember, the 2A3 is quite a bit more powerful than the 45 and the tubes are WAY less expensive and easier to find on top of that. The 45 is supposed to be a sublime tube but as your first SET offering, I am not so sure. I sure wish you had jumped on those Wrights for that price. Korneff amps do come up used these days but I find the price has been jacked up more often than not. In addition, this is for a STEREO amp and not a set of monoblocks with dedicated power supplies.

korneff_comparo.jpg

And remember, if you do look at a used Korneff amp, remember that he puts a variety of transformers, usually at customers request in the unit, thereby giving these units distinctive qualities. In addition, like George Wright (and unlike Ron Welborne) many of the Korneff amps use rather pedestrian parts, unless a customer specifies certain makes. Jeff does not seem to favor more boutique parts which can be good or bad depending on how you look at it as well as your experience.

The 2A3 is a far safer bet for your first SET as it is easier to drive speakers, easier to find tubes (the Sovtek 2A3 is dirt cheap), and FAR easier to sell when it comes the time. Still, I am also interested in the Korneff amp but doubt I would have got it as my first SET purchase. At least you will have a speaker that can handle it. Friends of mine that have done DIY 45 report that 100dB horns just dont quite cut it for challenging material, relagating you to Patricia Barber patrol. I'll let you know what I think, however.

kh

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 08-28-2002 at 09:35 AM

kh stated:

"I have heard a tad bit more reliability problems with the 502".

Are these rumors you heard, or something you heard in the sonics of the amp, if the latter, what is "reliability" and what does it sound like?

Just wanting to learn the terminology.

-C&S

------------------

Cornwalls

currently upgrading

to all tube components

Thanks to all for their input and especially "Mobile Homeless"Smile.gif. I've seen a few of the Jolida's on the web but when I ask if it has a sub woof out, I never get a reply. I guess that means no? From the reading here, some come with it as an option. Ok, have to seek it out. I'm not in a great rush so I'll take my time in the search/quest.

BJ

BJ, Jolida DEFINITELY offered a SUB OUT option with their amps. You see it from time to time. In fact, if you dont feel like doing any soldering, you can ship the amp to them, and they will add the sub output for you at a modest cost.

And to give you an idea, my old girlfriend actually called the factory up, and one of the techs walked her through doing some soldering on her own JD-302B just like the pic above. She wanted a TAPE OUT and they helped her in real time. Pretty nice for a factory to provide this type of support.

kh

Mobile, I just meant that it would take me a while to find the sub option on a used Jolida 302. I've scanned the web, different search engines ect. I am soldering Iron handy, have 3 butane modelsSmile.gif

Do you and the other tubies have a favorite place to ck out used equip. I too also saw that Eico HF-81 on ebay. I also saw another but in poor shape in and out.

That would be a nice starter if I could find one.

Eyes are tired from the search but I'll go on.

BJ

Docj,

Take a look at Scott 222C or D or 299 A/B/C/D (especially 299 A/B) series they all have mono center channel outs that are controlled by the volume Pot. They work great with a sub. they usually can be bought for around $200 on ebay but will require some updating for reliablility unless you find one already done. One just sold on Ebay for $470 restored makes me want to sell some of my stuff LOL !!

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

Another question to all you out there.

Lets assume for all practical purposes, I'll be going Eico HF-81/Scott/ or some entry level tube amp.

Need to think about swiching from the my different amps/to the La Scala's, and the numerous inputs such as cd/dvd/ect to the two outputs which will be my amps.

I know you all would of probably solved or found the place that can help me with this type of switching that is also eyepleasing??Smile.gif

Thanks in advance

BryanJ