RF-25's worth $400?

jscaldwell

Hey,

Been patiently waiting for a deal on Craigslist, eBay, etc. for new fronts and/or sub to replace my RB-15s and 8" sub respectively. Seeing a deal for RF-25s in Cherry for $400/pair. I know it's an upgrade over my little bookshelf speakers, but is that price right? Thanks for any thoughts. By the way, I have an RC52 center. Thanks.

RF-25 Cherry Floor Standing Klipsch - $400 (Lakeway Area)

I paid $200.00 for my RF-25's 2 years ago. The matching center is good at $100.00 (about average). I'd offer $250.00 max on the RF-25's. The "matching" that you are referring to is for the timber match on the tweeters, and speaker types. That gives the best sound quality and is supposed to be "seamless" on the audio going from left-center-right and vice versa. By matching, none of the speakers will overpower the others.

• Like 2

The RF-25s are awesome speakers, but only worth about $250. I personally think they are the greatest value in used Klipsch speakers and they deliver sound that may be worth paying more. Just don't count on ever reselling them for what you paid.

The RC-25 is not an upgrade over the RC-52. It's actually a slight downgrade, but it matches the RF-25s better. RC-25s are not rare, so I would hold off and see if you're happy with the RF-25+RC-52 combo first.

The RC-52 is not designed with the RF-25's in mind, thusly you may get better results with imaging and the RC-25. However, that being said...the 52 would be my choice of speaker simply because IMO it is a better designed speaker.

I would not drop $400 on a pair of RF-25's. Much better deals to be had. I'd expect 25's at $200-$250 (I sold a pair at $225).

See if you can track down some used RF-52's or 62's. Will serve you much better IMO.

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

However, that being said...the 52 would be my choice of speaker simply because IMO it is a better designed speaker. The 25 is a sealed design, where the 52 is front ported.

I don't have much experience with centers, but the RC-25 looks like it's also front ported?

My apologies, I was confusing it with another speaker. You are correct.

What I should have referred to is the fact that many seem to report issues with both the 25's and 35's when it comes to crossover. Seemingly a lot of people also seem to complain about muddiness. I never heard that when I owned a 35, but I do know something was kind of off with the Xover.