Klipsch La Scalas or Fortes - 16' x 11' Room

Evolvo

So I'm thinking of selling my Klipsch La Scala's because I'm starting to feel as though they are too big for the room. I have a small movie theater and honestly it sounds fantastic.  However the room feels cramped and the sound is so directly and there isn't any airyness to the experience. The sound smothers. 

I recently went to local Home Audio store that had a theater that was huge say 30' by 40'.  They had an Dobly Atmos setup and it was amazing.The difference between their system and mine was that I felt as though there was more air and space between me and the speaker and somehow it sounded more realistic, likely because in any real world situations the sound of things happening around you isn't that close. 

I'm wondering if a pair of Fortes maybe moved back a foot wood remedy this or would I regret selling my La Scalas. With the sale I could also upgrade to Atmos reciever and setup. 

What do you guys think. I've owned every Klipsch speaker every made buy it's been a few years since I've been in the game so just checking the community response. I know the Fortes don't sound as good but can't quite remember by how much. 

What year LS and what are you using to power them?  Do you use the room correction program, like Audyssey?

My angle is that I'm wondering if the AVR's electronics are bringing out the sound you are looking for with your LS?

What year LS and what are you using to power them?  Do you use the room correction program, like Audyssey?

My angle is that I'm wondering if the AVR's electronics are bringing out the sound you are looking for with your LS?

Not sure of the year, 77 comes to mind but they have the type AA crossover. I'm powering them with an Onkyo 818 receiver. Probably 125 watts per channel.  I'm not too concerned with 2 channel audio, just movie watching.  

My LaScala Trio are in a 13' X 19' dedicated HT. I couldn't see going back to my Forte II from my LaScalas. To my ears, they don't have anywhere near the presence as the LS.

What side of the room are your la scalas on. 13' or 19'.  Mine are on the 16' wall of an 11' wide room, so from my ear to the la scala is 9'.  If I had 2 extra feet I think it would make a world of difference. my old theater was 11' x 23' and I had the speakers on the 11' wall and sat back further and it was awesome.  Your right, they don't have the same presence and I'm scared about that. I'm hoping after a few days I'll forget that and get use to the Fortes, Lol. 

I have Atmos in my theatre and Cornwalls for 2 channel. They are different animals for sure. My theatre is about 11x19 and you are immersed with 7.2.4. I can't fit la scalas in here reasonably. Would love to hear but space doesn't work. Hopefully you can figure out what gear you need to get the right sound for you.

I have Atmos in my theatre and Cornwalls for 2 channel. They are different animals for sure. My theatre is about 11x19 and you are immersed with 7.2.4. I can't fit la scalas in here reasonably. Would love to hear but space doesn't work. Hopefully you can figure out what gear you need to get the right sound for you.

Is your setup on the long wall or short wall.  Mine is the long wall so close to speakers.  I can't even fit rears. Would you say that Atmos is great. 

I ultimately sold them.  I'd like to get an atmos receiver and see how those setups sound anyway.  I almost cried as I listened to them the last time.  For music they are absolutely amazing.  For movies their just too much in my face and they are just so large in the room. They will be missed.  Anybody got a pair of Fortes, Chorus or quartets for sale. 

So for now I replaced the La Scalas with RB 81's in the theater room.  For music it's obviously no match but for movies I have to say in my setup the RB 81's are better.  I know it sounds crazy, but the bass is much more dynamic and full range and the highs are much clearer. 

There are 2 things that I think happened with the Scalas in the room.  

1. Somehow the large cabinets caused reflections or the bass from the cabinets cancelled out frequencies from the subs. The bass response is much better now seems more tactile and and not so stuffy. 

2. The highs are easily heard now and sound is more separated from each channel. Before it sounded like everything was coming to me all at once, just from the front.  Now I actually feel like I have surround sound and it seems like sounds are heard from a more precise location.  

I think having extra distance helps. I was so close to my la scalas for movies that I might as well have stuck my head in the midrange and forgot about the rest of the mix. My theater has come alive and isn't stuffy anymore.

All in all for movies the la scalas overpowered the room and the other speakers. Reducing dynamics, highs, and lows.  If the room were just a few feet bigger the la scalas would have been just right.  For music I don't think the room size matters much. 

Is your setup on the long wall or short wall. Mine is the long wall so close to speakers. I can't even fit rears. Would you say that Atmos is great.

Mine is on the short wall. All speakers are in wall/in ceiling so I don't have a space issue. I was watching Gravity and Sandra Bullock is flipping a toggle switch above her head. I heard the clicking above my head and I swear I sat up wondering what the hell that noise was. With a 9' wide, 5' tall screen you are totally immersed. It didn't even occur to me that I was hearing her actions above me! It was damn cool. Edited by ryanm84