Tropical Storm Season 2016

Mallette

Image is not a "tropical storm" by definition regardless of how it looks, but an upper level low with many of the characteristics.  While I am hardly a meteorologist I am something of a seasoned weather watcher and what has developed today is totally fascinating to watch.  Best to see it in motion, but if you look carefully you have moisture pouring into the Gulf from the Pacific across Mexico in the jet stream feeding this monster upper level system towards Florida.  But then there is a massive feed of this moisture also up into Texas and a low pressure system moving down from the Pacific NW as a cool front with a huge storm system that is moving ENE.  Incredible mixture of crossing wind and pressure patterns.  This amateur suggests there will be some tornadoes and rough weather as it moves east unless one of these dynamics changes.  I can't help but wonder if it may portend an active hurricane season as well.  Worth watching, for sure.  I am watching from my old home in Seabrook where I am for the weekend, but will be headed back to Texarkana Monday.  

Dave

post-7390-0-30820000-1460867997_thumb.jp

• Moderators

Quite a difference in forecast your to ours, we have a 40% chance of rain Thursday and that's the highest all week.

Good luck over there, if you get half the rain expected it could be a problem. 

OK, just made it to TXK after leaving about 0615 this morning.  Usually takes 5 hours.  U.S. 59 flooded and closed just north of Cleveland.  Had to go all the way over to I-45 and then NE to finally get here.  After we reached central Houston this AM it was a good thing the majority of people obeyed the stay home plea.  There were miles where one could not exit due to flooded intersections.  Some areas of Houston had 20" of rain. 

Pretty extraordinary event, second only to Alicia in total rain.

Dave

• Moderators

Well not surprising they changed our forecast  to include more rain for the rest of the week here, looks lilt we might get a tiny bit of the weather from Texas. 

Hope your all doing well more rain forecast for the same areas in Texas the rest of the week.

I have to say parts of Texas has some crazy weather, it was not that long ago when there was enough rain to cause flooding and in the summer many times that area gets stuck under high pressure systems for weeks and temperatures get to 100+ for many days. Rain is not a big deal here but I would not want high temps and droughts, your either standing in water or hot and crispy, not good. 

I recall a picture I made back in the late 70s near Wichita Falls.  A particularly nasty heat streak and drought had just broken and I was driving out in the country.  There was a corn field with 2 foot tall or so dead corn plants that literally looked like they'd been burned...and they were standing in nearly a foot deep water. 

That's Texas weather.

Dave