Dug out my old SL-1300 w/Shure V-15 Type III

For anyone looking to "tune up" their Technics tables, there is a guy here about 20 minutes from me that is known as the Technics "guru". He does everything to them from lubing to modding,wiring, and builds add on parts. If it's OK to post his site, it's KABUSA.COM. His name is Kevin. I listened to his system that has a Technics SL1200 and my jaw dropped,it was that good.

Kevin Barrett of KAB is definitely the SL-1200 guru.  He does mods and upgrades, and sells good-looking well-made wooden bases for 1200s.

I'm actually contemplating getting one of his custom tables fully modded out.

exactly my take...the clicks and pops, memories for sure...

Bill

Good quality turntables and cartridges don't add surface noise and cause very little wear on records.  The cheap gear will wreck your records, but if you have good gear, you can listen to LPs for years without any clicks or pops.

Good gear, properly set up, can sound better than CDs.  I wondered why hi-fi magazines raved about the sound of vinyl, until I got a Technics SL-1400 MK2 and Shure M97xE cartridge.  Finally, I was able to hear what they were talking about.

Five years later, I got one of the last SL-1210M5G turntables and popped the M97 onto it using the SL-1400 headshell.  I also used the thick Sorbothane Platter Matter mat that had come with the 1400.  To my surprise, the sound was much better, even with the same cartridge, headshell and mat.  It was obvious that the engineers at Technics had not been sitting on their hands for all those years.  I eventually got the proper 1210M5G headshell installed and aligned, with the same Shure M97, but a new N97 stylus, and the sound is great.

As for the SL-1200, I'm not sure why so many people like the Mark 2, rather than the later Mark 5.  The Mark 5 has LED lights that almost never burn out, and I think there are other upgrades as well.

In related news, after being unavailable since late 2010, Technics finally responded to the demands of fans and has begun making a new SL-1200 in 2016.  The first limited edition run sold out in 30 minutes.

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/04/13/technics-sl-1200-turntable-sells-out-in-just-30-minutes/

More news:  http://www.factmag.com/2016/01/05/technics-turntable-sl-1200/

The official Technics page for the new SL-1200:  http://www.technics.com/global/introduction/hifi-direct-drive-turntable-system-sl-1200gae/

Here's the Wiki page on the 1200, with all the models listed:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technics_SL-1200

Edited by Islander

For anyone looking to "tune up" their Technics tables, there is a guy here about 20 minutes from me that is known as the Technics "guru". He does everything to them from lubing to modding,wiring, and builds add on parts. If it's OK to post his site, it's KABUSA.COM. His name is Kevin. I listened to his system that has a Technics SL1200 and my jaw dropped,it was that good.

Kevin Barrett of KAB is definitely the SL-1200 guru.  He does mods and upgrades, and sells good-looking well-made wooden bases for 1200s.

Good idea, but you might want to wait a bit and see what the new SL-1200G is like when it comes out in a few months.  Kevin has not had access to new 'tables for some time, I believe, so his custom 'tables are most likely all refurbished units.

Good idea, but you might want to wait a bit and see what the new SL-1200G is like when it comes out in a few months.  Kevin has not had access to new 'tables for some time, I believe, so his custom 'tables are most likely all refurbished units.

I'd only do a refurb that was customized. But before I decide, I'm getting a custom built AR done up. I may do an S shaped arm as well.

post-59264-0-95960000-1466200603_thumb.j   post-59264-0-84320000-1466200627_thumb.j

That AR must have been created by Larry Spence. His work is impeccable and after he custom built a teak plinth for my Dual 1229 my wife loves it as a center piece in our living room. Playing thru my vintage forte 1's passed down from my dad my old vinyl sounds awesome. I did the Crites mods and added an HSU subwoofer and wow

• Like 2

Fido,

It was in fact created by him. I'm also having Marc Morin help with the suspension and tone arm bearings through Larry.  He is a great guy to deal with as well.

His focus is on Dual tables and AR's but he also does a little of everything else. Very nice guy to chat with, truly likes his work.

The table above is a one off, but will now be a 2 off as I want the same exact thing, except the arm will be the SME S shaped tube.

See my signature below and this will be replacing one of the turntables.

Jim I agree with you about Larry. He's awesome and a wealth of knowledge about everything analog. Loves his Klipsche and his Duals. The custom work he does transforms these old turntables into works of art. Love meeting the amazing people with shared passions

• Like 1

Fido,

I originally contacted him about doing custom plinths on my Dual 701 and 1229Q. I however sold them to fund playing around with other tables knowing I can go back and get one.

The thing I like about him is he truly seems to enjoy speaking to you when on the phone with him.

Do you have a picture you can post of the plinth? Not to hijack the OP's thread

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the teak plinth Larry spencer made for my dual 1229 to match our entertainment center. I added a Shure V 15 type III and am loving the entitle analog experience

Nice photo and I like the choice of shutter speed. This thread inspired me to put my old Shure V15 mk II on my Thorens TD-124. I think it may be time for retirement though, the vocals sound muddy with a strange distortion even with the new stylus. I think the magnets inside wear out after a while.

That thorns td124 is a dream machine - if the low end Dual idler didn't sound so good I'd be lusting for your thorens twk123

Thanks Fido, its very cool vintage machine. I am extremely lucky to have it. My Grandfather passed away a few years ago and I was in his basement in Nebraska and I happen to come across it in a back room and brought it home. I fixed it up with new phono cables and and re-finished the plinth. I just need to get a decent cartridge for it, the Shure is still having problems and the only other one I have is a really cheap one I had from a USB turntable. That Dual looks great on that plinth, what tone arm are you using?

I'm using the stock Dual low mass arm - bought it cheap on eBay and had it cleaned and put a vintage stylus on - after Larry built the new plinth I found an incredible deal on the v15 and had always wanted one - at the same time I found a dual head shell and m91 Ed for less than $50 - it sounds almost as good as the v15 - I'm using a newer Yamaha amp and a really nice high end project preamp - I have a few hundred records - I cleaned them all and most sound very very pristine - cleaning helped a lot - played thru my upgraded fortes and HSU sub I'm extremely happy with my listening experience

That thorns td124 is a dream machine - if the low end Dual idler didn't sound so good I'd be lusting for your thorens twk123

Don't sleep on the Dual, it's one of the few auto tables that's actually hi-fi. If you can, get a Stanton 681EEE and get the D6800EEE-S or Jico D68000EEE Shibata. The shibata will make that thing sing. The shibata stylus brings it to a whole new level, and if you get the flat headed sled for the 1229, look at the Grado Sonata 1 or 2. It may need a shim on it, but that will be one helluva set up. As long as that idler wheel is in good condition, it will keep that thing sounding superb. It may or may not have a slight hum though due to the idler.

Here is my 1229Q. 

post-59264-0-46540000-1468707973_thumb.j   post-59264-0-52100000-1468707987_thumb.j

Edited by Jim

Jim that 1229 of yours looks amazing. Maybe once my Shure v15 type III wares out I'll try the Stanton. I have no hum at all and speed is always perfect. Sounds amazing - can't imagine needing anything higher end to play my vinyl

• Like 2

Jim that 1229 of yours looks amazing. Maybe once my Shure v15 type III wares out I'll try the Stanton. I have no hum at all and speed is always perfect. Sounds amazing - can't imagine needing anything higher end to play my vinyl

The hum was geared towards doing the Grado Sonata, as with idler wheel drives as per Grado, it will cause a slight hum.

If anything, speak to Larry about a possible upgrade with wiring on the arm out to the head shell.