Wasted Day

eth2

I spent the entire day trying to get the new Wyred4Sound M2 music server set up. What a waste of time. I hooked the m2 to  Wyred4Sound DAC and then to THE CD input on my Pioneer 7.1. Nothing. I spent 3 hours trying to get my PC to read the server. No luck.  Then I switched to  my Macbook Pro and got the Mac to read the server. I was able to control the server, but no sound

Of course the M2 arrives on a Saturday on a long weekend, so I can't call the manufacturer for three days. AARRRGGGG.

The MAC driver loads automatically when you connect the Mac to the DAC.

The Server is a mystery to me. It appears there are no driver needed for the server. 

What verson OSX is on your macbook? There is a problem with El Capitan...

Apple El Capitan and DAC-2 compatibility
01 December 2015

We are aware of the incompatibility of the latest Apple OS (El Capitan) and our DAC-2 (not DAC-2 DSD or DSDse, which are driverless for Mac). There is a known and documented issue with the new OS and its incompatibility for many USB audio devices, including DACs. Hopefully, Apple will address this soon. Until then, we are a bit at their mercy. There are many discussions online about this issue. Here is one specifically on USB audio/DACs: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7253452?start=0&tstart=0

For this reason, we and many other audio companies recommend not upgrading to El Capitan until Apple resolves this issue. If you have upgraded and your DAC-2 no longer works, please contact us to discuss viable options.

Thanks.

I feel sorry for you, my friend.  There are not many feelings worse than fiddling with a piece of equipment for hours that should frankly simply be able to work with a minimum amount of setup. 

I just read the M2 website blurb which brags at the very top "easy one time setup" so this might be something fairly straightforward to troubleshoot, but it's hard for most people to see their own mistakes.

Did you want some help from us here to try to get the thing going, or do you just need to walk away from it for a little while to clear your head?

+++

What verson OSX is on your macbook? There is a problem with El Capitan...  (Steve S, directly upsteam)

Great catch, Steve. 

He said he tried to hook up to a PC originally and was not able to get anything, then he tried the Mac which you pointed out has a known problem.

+++

MORE Edit! I just looked at the manual.  There were a couple of odd instructions  which I I can't cut and paste because the instructions are formatted one letter at a time with a line break. 

Strange, so here is the link.  Check out #4 on the non-standard HDMI cable, and the instruction to put a CD in face down.

https://wyred4sound.com/sites/default/files/MusicServersetupguideV1.5.docx_1.pdf

Edited by wvu80

No.I have switched out preamps, amps, DAC's, cables. There is just no output from the server. I have used both USB cables and Toslink cables.

Have you gone into "playback devices" on the PC and selected one of them as the default?

fXtHGT1.png

Edited by Tasdom

No.I have switched out preamps, amps, DAC's, cables. There is just no output from the server. I have used both USB cables and Toslink cables.

Have you gone into "playback devices" on the PC and selected one of them as the default?

fXtHGT1.png

Just saw that you're using a MAC, different process but same thoughts on selecting a device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-42SrCvvjQ