Cheap 18" bass bins - read on:

kenratboy

There is a company in San Diego called Carvin. They make cheap, but good pro audio gear. I was looking at their site and saw:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=FH1801&P1=SUB

Well, what would happen if you popped a nice JBL 18" woofer in there? Or just kept the woofer in, which is very nice What sort of frequency responce would you get?

Anyway, lets at least talk horn subs.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

For JBL related subjects and more fun, click: http://www.audioheritage.org

Not a good idea unless you will listen mostly to heavy metal and hard rock,ALL these compact(by PRO standards)folded horn bass bins dont have any real sub bass.

What they have is hurricane like heavyweight punch around 40Hz and up no non horn loaded design can match.

Just look at the specs(and yes specs to tell much in the case of subs)a lousy 42Hz at -10dB! Now imagine 30Hz output(what -20dB)and then 20Hz(not even funny,probably -30dB or worse).

Cerwin Vega makes bass bins capable of more output and they go down to around 30Hz with awesome power.

Yes they cost more too.

I know a heavy metal fanatic who owns FOUR Cerwin Vega bass bins with 18" elephant drivers.Holly crap these are weapons of mass destruction.You can level a battle field,SVS Ultras,Revels and Aerials sound like weakling minature woofers.Down to 30Hz these Cerwin Vegas buldoze any home sub with a vengance.

You better seek SVS or other home subs.Unless you look at JBL's non horn loaded bass bins.A few on this forum own these and will provide you with true deep bass.

One day I plan to buy two of these Cerwin vega bass bins just for fun.Put some Metallica in the CD player and pump up the volume.I doubt the RF-7's will keep up,maybe it will be time for K-Horns or Cerwin vega's Pro Monitors.

I may be banned and striped of my Audiophile badge!

cwm45.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Yes, I am one of the JBL Pro sub people.

And, it doesn't have enough output for my needs. Smile.gif

Ear, may I whet you pallet with:

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=FH1801&P1=SUB

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

go to Jamaica sometime, the power system capital of the world (I'm half jamaican). The systems they have down there would put even 4 cerwin vega's to shame. I am talking about the 8 dual 18" subs that are pretty common down there. couple that with the outrageous amounts of amplification (plus 30,000 watts of power), and you've got yourself a cardiac arrest causing sound system.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

oh, by the way, if you're gonna put in a JBL driver, make sure to check that the VAS and Q match up in the same ball park as the Carvin ones did or you could end up with an odd sounding sub.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

"Yes, I am one of the JBL Pro sub people.

And, it doesn't have enough output for my needs. Smile.gif"

That's why I have two 4638 cabinetsSmile.gif It's enough to get arrested, that's for sure. I find that I can't use them to their fullest capabilities, since I have elderly neighbors. It's like driving a Lamborghini on the interstate - lots of throttle unused! Very good, tight bass, though - wonderful, effortless performance!

If I were to upgrade, it would be 2 SVS Ultras, or an Edgar bass horn. Otherwise, I'm wasting my time. Since I can't use my JBL's the way they are supposed to be used (115+db), there's no need for me to do this (not to mention that I can't afford 'em anyway - all the reason to be happy as is). I really have no issues with the JBL's - they do what I bought them to do.

You are becoming a "clone of the ears". An absolute sub human. When your liver turns to liquid, the duplication is complete!

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 09-04-2002 at 05:50 AM

prodj101,

Hold your horses here,no system in the world would even best the system I am talking about,maybe by a tiny fraction.

You need to realise the owner listens mostly to hard rock and heavy metal and a few Genesis CD's.

The system is three columns of Carver TFM-75(1KW RMS per channel!) and Carver A760 if memory serves me well(1200W RMS bridged amps!).Two columns have twenty Carver A760's!This is just for the monitors and ten TFM-75's for the bass bins!Count the watts 48000W RMS at full power! Dont forget this awesome herculean amp juice drives Cerwin Vega Pro stage monitors and subwoofers(18" heavy duty horn loaded type SOB's).

And the main thing,this SPL monster resides in a room about 26x34'! In other words JAM PACKED,not counting the mixer,EQ's and playback stuff.Needless to say it does not run on one 15AMP circuit. LOL

When volume is set at 2 on a scale of 10,the SPL makes you feel dizzy(over 124dB is achieved!)The limits of the Rat Shack dB meter are smashed.So HornEd when he talks about the puny 12..someting dB for theaters makes me smile as this brutal system levels to the ground any home system on dB output and would surprise most who think it must sound like crap.Quite the contrary,its bleeding definition,its like GIANT RF-7's,or RF-70's if you will. Wink.gif

THis is by far the sickest system I ever saw or heard.Pure power,compression starts where windows and walls are no more. LOL I would not be surprised if this monster system pounds to the ground 148dB's!

You saw and heard cars with a huge systems,well this is a room with a titanic system.To say it is life like and does not compress to much sound is a giant understatement of the year.

If the Klipsch K-Horns sound BIG this system sounds HUMONGOUS,if the K-Horns can reproduce a gunshot this system is a nuclear blast! LOL

Even at live shows you dont hear of feel this kind of limitless might.

8 dual 18 inch subs? 30,000 watts for bass alone? (forgot to mention that), that is 16 18 inch subs using 30,000 watts of power. not including the mains, I don't think you'll find many systems that out perform this. plus, this is a system from 1994, meaning that in 2002, they should have much bigger stuff.

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, B&K PT-3 preamp, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

Your little specs do not impress me,what is the room size?

Its nothing impressive to have even 100 18" woofers powered by 250000W RMS if you use them in a huge stadium.

What is impressive is to have 48 kilowatts RMS of amplifier guts driving 107dB efficient speakers(subs and sats)in a 26x34' room,not even 3 meters high!

Now this is jam packed superpower.Anything more is pointless as I would force you to even try and stand in this room while the volume gain is at 1/3.You would lose hearing and collapse.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

LAB-3DC.gif

Two 12" drivers, run you around $150 per driver). Overall each one is about 22.5" wide x 45" deep x 45" tall. Properly place making the wall extend the horn you'd have serious output into the low 20hz range.

Four of these for sure, maybe even only 2 of these could make you want to leave a room that is 26x34. And with a lot less than 48,000 watts. If what you say is true theEAR, he could only ever use a fraction of it's capabilities or he'd he no hearing left. But I'd bet the last octave performance is the pits.

WOW! I have always wanted to see a 3D model of the inside of a bass horn. That would be some tough wood work...

Well, those are 12's. If you were totally insane, could you make one out of 15's or 18's? Scale it to 1.5X that size for 15's, so maybe 15 Hz.?

Now, I have 3D AutoCAD, I want a 3D model of a Klipschorn, NOW!!!

------------------

a guy made a VIDEO of the ProMedia sub going through the loops... it enters into the port hole on the front of the sub and goes through the inside before it is pushed out through one of the side firing woofers. it was a really cool video, i used to have it on the soundwise site, maybe i should try to scrounge it up and put it here, it was really neat.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5s>

Email Me

Dustin,

"If what you say is true theEAR, he could only ever use a fraction of it's capabilities or he'd he no hearing left. But I'd bet the last octave performance is the pits."

No I invent,its not true.DUH why would I do that?For what gain?

Lets remain serious,like I've said this system does not even operate at 1% of its RMS output power on peaks.Needless to say

Most of the time it sails on 5-10W total!And even then its as loud as all hell.

BTW the subs in this system are ALL horn loaded.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Ken--The 12s are fine. That's the LAB sub horn designed by Tom Danley of ServoDrive, PLENTY of output. He's one of the two sharpest horn designers out there and he know's what he's doing. The drivers are custom designed for the horn, you can't just simply scale the thing up for bigger drivers, doesn't work that way. A club member has built a variation of the LAB, I haven't heard it but those who have are very impressed.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Awwww, but I want somthing stupid big Frown.gif

But, the bass responce sheet was not impressive at 20-30 Hz., the SVS would blow the thing away in that area.

------------------

The Ears do you really expect us to believe anyone has 48,000 watts rms in their house if the amps were 100% efficient it would require 400amps of current at household 120volts to make this type of power most homes have at most a 200amp service so their is problem number 1. next most amps are about 50% efficent meaning you now need 800amps give me a break. Ok well you say he never uses all 48,000 only about 5-10w on peaks according to an earlier post well the standby power consuption would still be very high not to mention he must be a total dumbass if he payed for 48,000 watts of which he uses 5-10 maybe have a 1,000 watts of amplifaction but 48,000. I seem to notice that you always have or know someone that has these super systems you must live in audio ville or something give us a break