Here's lobbing a shot in the dark question; divorce date search

USNRET

A good friend is applying for a passport and for whatever reason doesn't know his exact date (1998) of divorce in North Carolina and says that he doesn't have time to go thru the X number of days that it will take to go thru vital records. I suggested a free trail to one of those ancestry sites. Any thoughts?

edit: doesn't need a certified copy just the date (were it me I might just eh, throw a date in there)

Edited by USNRET

My research (limited when asked if I had an idea) showed at least a few weeks to get a response. Since we are in the text mode I don't have real time answers to some of MY questions; what county, how soon needed, etc

If he had a lawyer, or the wife had a lawyer, the lawyer might have the info and will share.

Did he have an e-mail account back then he can access.  He might have written someone about it.

WMcD

• Moderators

It is my (limited) understanding that a mailed request for vital records can take up to 8 weeks, while a phone or email request will be satisfied much faster.

Marriage and death are public records. For a fee a clerk will pull up and give you information over the phone. Many have court records on line.

So there will typically be two offices that will have divorce records. One is the State vital statistics office, they typically want it done by mail, like a birth certificate. The other is the court/clerk's office (as it is a legal proceeding) and those are all public records.

It is my (limited) understanding that a mailed request for vital records can take up to 8 weeks, while a phone or email request will be satisfied much faster.

Marriage and death are public records. For a fee a clerk will pull up and give you information over the phone. Many have court records on line.

So there will typically be two offices that will have divorce records. One is the State vital statistics office, they typically want it done by mail, like a birth certificate. The other is the court/clerk's office (as it is a legal proceeding) and those are all public records.

His wife (current) and I have pretty much exhausted Google trying to find the info. I can find Texas info easily. Perhaps I should suggest to current that she contact prior and see if prior knows (I love a cat fight)

post-19886-0-62540000-1464917365_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

• Moderators

From State Vital Statistics site:

Birth, death and marriage certificates also may be obtained at the Register of Deeds off-site link (ROD) office in the county where the event took place. In Mecklenburg County, birth and death certificates may be obtained at the local health department off-site link. (Please be aware that N.C. Vital Records is the only place to get a birth certificate for an adopted child.) Divorce certificates may be obtained from the clerk of court off-site link in the county where the divorce is filed.

Close it out! Thanks for the help; they need to use XX/XX/1998 on the application, beg a clerk to spill the date over the phone or pay a (IMO) hard to cancel search provider.

Thanks guys,

Mike