What 5.1 receiver to go with?

jwadd21

I ended up cancelling my uBid order for a HK avr520, they were delaying shipping for god knows why, and i am sick of dealing with their BS. Because I do not plan on using 6.1 or 7.1 anytime soon and I only use my system for HT about 20% of the time and %80 for music, I am thinking about getting a slightly older model of receiver so I can get a bigger discount. I have been looking at the SR8000 from marantz at their refurb website for $600 down from the retail price of $1300, a pretty good deal. I have heard that marantz makes the best receivers for music and great receivers overall although some have had quality issues with them, so I have been looking seriously at these. Should I just go with a heavily discounted 5.1 receiver rather than getting a rather mid level (marantz sr6200, denon 2802, hk avr320)? What do ya think? I could also go with the denon avr3801 ir the HK avr510. What do you recommend?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: Older JVC Progressive Scan...soon to be a Toshiba SD5700(HDCD)

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

if you're listenin to that much music, just get a seperates system. even a cheaper seperates system could easily outperform a high end receiver due to the fact that each component has it's on power supply, rather than sharing one. Also, there are fewer compromises made to fit it all into one case. why do you think many amps can easily reach 100 pounds and receivers are only around 40?

------------------

New music system:

2.1 using SF-2's (soon to be RF-7's), and an RSW-15. for amplification Mcintosh MC02105, Sony SACD player. pioneer turntable.

I think even in the used market, it will be quite difficult to find a quality seperate prepo and 6.1/7.1 amp for under $1,000. Not sure of cost, but you could investigate costs for a used Outlaw 1050 and 750 amp. The 1050 is reported to be a very good receiver and serves equally well as a preamp. I have the 5 channel 750 amp and I'm very pleased with it.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 09-03-2002 at 05:53 PM

I think the question being asked here is being over looked. Based on his initial Q and the amount he is willing to invest I'd say he needs more input.

Lets get this out of the way first.

I agree having separates is the best way to go. Keep in mind for a descent 5.1 systems using separates he will need to invest at least $2500.00 in used equipment of any good quality.

But I think the Q was more based on good quality 5.1 receivers. I and like many others on this BB tend to like Denon. For $600.00 to $1000.00 you can get a nice little receiver. I happen to use a 3801 and love it. Granted I do run my La Scala's on a separate power amp. However, the Denon is a solid piece...IMHO

------------------

Denon AVR 3801

Onkyo M504 Power Amp driving the mains

Technique A-10 DVD Audio/Video Player

Pioneer DVL-909 Laserdisc/Dvd Player

Dish Network Dolby Digital Sat receiver

Mitsubishi 50" Screen

Mitsubishi HSU-575 HiFi VCR

Klipsch La Scala ( Mains)

Klipsch RFC5 Center

Klipsch RSS6 Surround Side

Klipsch RSS .5 Back surround

Klipsch KSW 12 Subwoofer

Denon DRA-295 Stereo Receiver Driving Outdoor Speakers

Boston Acoustics OutDoor Speakers

My Home Theater Page http://www.geocities.com/scooterb4u/ScootersHT.html

Well I just realized non of these receivers have Prologic 2, which I love for music. Are there any discontinued models with PL2 that I can get for cheap? If not, I think I will just go with a newer, but lower model instead.

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: Older JVC Progressive Scan...soon to be a Toshiba SD5700(HDCD)

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

You can buy my HK AVR 125 Smile.gif It has Prologic 2. Wink.gif

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

Polk Audio PSW650 subc>

Harman Kardon AVR-125c>

Mitsubishi 60" Big Screen VS-60609c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Sony VCR SLV-N77c>

Early last year I got a NAD T761 5.1 receiver and the Outlaw 750 amp for less than $1,600. The NAD was selected for it's music first abilities. However, it does not meet his recently stated need for PL2 processing. Have no idea on models with PL2, as I have no need for that capability. Willing to bet reasonablely priced units are out there.

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

I currently run the HK AVR-510 and while it doesnt have Dolby Pro Logic II it does have Logic 7 which is a form of pro logic II its takes stereo material and makes it more seperated like 5.1 I hear it even sounds better that PL II its made by Lexicon I think. All in all I think youll be happy with the 510.. I just bought mine 6 months ago. I wanted the 520 but couldnt afford it and I picked up the 510 factory refurb'd for $420 I couldnt go wrong.

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

HK AVR-510 Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

pwk.gif

R.I.P. Paul W. Klipsch THE LEGEND! 3/9/04 - 5/5/02

I was able to pick up a Factory Refurb. HK AVR7000 w/2 year factory warranty (very important!) off of ubid for $585 shipped in May........after ubid sent me a bunk unit (DSP fried, part on backorder for two months) I sent it back to HK and got a fresh refurb. from the HK warehouse, which has worked flawlessly thus far. HK was a pleasure to deal with on it, btw! Have KG2's now with Forte's on the way soon (hopefully!) I had considered the NAD T761, but had heard there were problems with them.... ironic, huh?.......Good luck on your search!

Sounds like someone needs to step up the the plate and rock your world! I recently purchased a Sony ES receiver, STRDA5ES. Retailed for $1,500 from Sony; bought it from Soundcity.com for $748 shipped. Unit is new with a 5-yr warranty; 6.1 w/ PLII, DTS-ES and DTS Neo 6.

I have not seen any of the ES line advertised by Sony in the last couple of months so I fear they are dropping their high-end line. Talk with Joe at x708 to see if he can still get this model for you. Sounds superb.

John