CF-4... any equivalent sounds?

I had a pair  which were driven by an old Denon and mostly listened to vinyl via a B and O turntable. Nothing fancy, just good clean stereo sounds.  I listened to a bit of everything, but mostly 50's jazz, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, lots of acoustic music.  The sound was utterly amazing.  Warm, clear, vibrant, consistent.  These speakers made believers out of Bose snobs, people who believed that the best sound could come out of a small speaker would close their eyes and melt into the sounds.  

Klipsch makes a lot of speakers, and they come in all sizes, lots of configurations, and I am wondering if there are any other speakers which sound like the old CF's?  

I liked the look of the speakers that I built a small record rack which was the same Cherry plywood... I forget the stain I used, and painted black trim which matched the trim of the speakers pretty well.  I do miss these fine speakers.

post-34839-0-66740000-1468257348_thumb.j

post-34839-0-84140000-1468257366_thumb.j

post-34839-0-38980000-1468257385_thumb.j

Did you end up getting rid of them or do you still have them? The Klipsch CF-4 is a pretty rare and sought after model, especially the Version 1's. They are unique in that they are the only Woofer-Tweeter-Woofer Klipsch speakers. I would imagine the RF-7 IIs would be the next closest in sound but others here are more knowledgeable than me in this regard as I have not heard either. If you really want to get deep into the Klipsch sound, a pair of K-Horns or LaScalas with modest upgrades with a horn loaded subwoofer is what I would consider pretty close to the pinnacle of Klipsch audio reproduction.

I agree. Nothin' like the Epics.

If you want to cast a really wide net, the closest thing would be the original KG4(and maybe the KG 5.5). But there's still a hilariously huge gap.

I don't think any of the Reference stuff sounds similar at all and everything else is 3-way.

Edited by mattSER
  • Like 1

what about the KLF line that came just after, My understanding is that dealers did no like the Epic line because of the low mounted mid/tweeter, you had to sit down and be at ear level.  KLF20s are not that hard to find... but there is a CF3 near albany NY... $450 I believe on ebay