Turn table

mr.pee1

Since I'm really not a vinyl aficionado, my views may be a bit off the "audiophile" track.  I've found that phono preamps are some of the most hyped pieces of equipment that I've seen in this pastime (others being turntables, arms and cartridges costing thousands of dollars, curiously...:mellow:).  I recommend merely a good phono preamp at less than $200US (or $100US, for that matter) and then add whatever EQ you need to correct for typical phono mastering (i.e., boost bass below 100 Hz, and moderate the highs above 12 kHz in order to reduce noisy records.  The phono preamp needs to not to create its own noise.  This view is alien to "audiophiles"...but it works for me.  

Here is a listing that is sortable by price: http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps

Chris

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/even-more-amazing-ifi-micro-iphono-2-mmmc-phono-preamplifier#mfl3dlbu2USjZoZg.97

excellent reviews and features for $500. It is the upgraded second version, so you may be able to find people selling the original (all excellent reviews) for a discount. After something like this, you'll be spending a lot more.

I purchased an Audio-Technica model from Needle Doctor for under $50. It works, and I have had no trouble with it. They don't carry it any more. I've never felt the need to 'move up' the phono pre food chain.

Bruce